Support Forums

Full Version: Algebra (foil)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok I have Psats, tomorrow, grade ten math. We are doing things like complex numbers and using foil to solve the algebraic expressions? Tongue Lol I know l33t. But im just trying to make sure I'm doing everything correctly

1). (2+y) (6+y)

my answer is 12+2y+6y+y^2, Is that correct? If not can you explain in detail what I did wrong?
(10-13-2009, 03:37 PM)Socrates Wrote: [ -> ]Ok I have Psats, tomorrow, grade ten math. We are doing things like complex numbers and using foil to solve the algebraic expressions? Tongue Lol I know l33t. But im just trying to make sure I'm doing everything correctly

1). (2+y) (6+y)

my answer is 12+2y+6y+y^2, Is that correct? If not can you explain in detail what I did wrong?

That's right, you're doing it correctly.
Thanks MreGsx had to be sure.Smile
Just a quick side note:

If you need to go on to use your answer in a further question, may I suggest flipping your answer equation around, it just makes using it later on (maybe in simultaneous equations) 100 times easier.
Hello;

What Jamza means is put the values from greatest to smallest, or from your variables to your non-variables. So you should come out with: y^2+8y+12 (Make sure your "Y"s are together. You have to add all similar items. Like: 3x+4x = 7x. And so on.

-LS
(10-13-2009, 05:27 PM)PaNiK Wrote: [ -> ]I wish I was a L33T m47H pR0...
I must have been sleeping that day...

I did foil in 8th grade..
(10-13-2009, 05:19 PM)Jamza Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick side note:

If you need to go on to use your answer in a further question, may I suggest flipping your answer equation around, it just makes using it later on (maybe in simultaneous equations) 100 times easier.

Yes,In maths you want everything to Flow.
In Math you want everything to flow. Apparently English wasn't your subject :p
(10-13-2009, 06:56 PM)-NitroX Wrote: [ -> ]I did foil in 8th grade..
Yeah me too but certain schools/states do things differently. I know people who had to take physics then chemistry, then living environment, but it was the exact opposite for me
Put the variable before the number...

answer is y^2+8y+12
Pages: 1 2