Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you use Linux? =)
I've had fedora core 4 running on a machine similar to that one, it was quite slow but usable. Its hard drive was about twice the size of that one and i think anything as big as fedora or even ubuntu for that matter would fill it up. so im going to recommend the smallest i can think of and send you to DSL (Download). If it doesn't work on that computer, then most distros have live versions of there operating system which can be ran straight off the CD without writing a bit to your hard drive. These would be fine and safe enough to run in your main computer.
Ok. I was wrong about my command.
The command is 'systeminfo'

So, open Command Prompt:
Start -> Run -> 'cmd'
and then type: 'systeminfo'

Paste the system information over to here, in this thread, and we should be able to understand what you are running better.

Dr Small
MiNT Wrote:You probably don't know this DRS having been a ubuntu user for all your computer literate years, but most Linux systems use the su - command. the su - command is used to give the user a root terminal, this gives absolute control without the safety net sudo gives you. Personally i find it allot less annoying. you can get a root terminal in ubuntu with sudo su -
You can do that on Ubuntu, you just have to set a password for the root user.

Papa Spot Wrote:Here's a question for you LINUX folks. I've got an antique computer that doesn't have enough power or memory to do much of anything. Would it be a possible candidate for installing LINUX on in order to learn how to use it? If so, would I need to install an older version (since the computer is so wimpy) or would any version work on it?
Try DSL (Damn Small Linux)
Me I do not use linux. I don't think there's any reason to either. I mean Windows Xp Works fine so don't fix what's not broken right?
Meh, it'd probably be to hard for you to figure out anyways ^^

I still need Dr Small on the commands. Tongue
~ FFW
MrDoom Wrote:
Papa Spot Wrote:Here's a question for you LINUX folks. I've got an antique computer that doesn't have enough power or memory to do much of anything. Would it be a possible candidate for installing LINUX on in order to learn how to use it? If so, would I need to install an older version (since the computer is so wimpy) or would any version work on it?
Try DSL (Damn Small Linux)
Hmm, I notice something was cut there. Still instead I will give you the link.

I must say I disagree with that censoring for two main reasons:
1) It's not a swearword where I come from. How am I supposed to know every cultural difference in the world?
2) I was telling someone the name of a product, therefore the word was not used in the context of swearing.

At the end of the day, I have always said this:
"If you don't want people "swearing" install a bl**dy swear filter".

That said, don't go this far.
PoisonDart Wrote:Me I do not use linux. I don't think there's any reason to either. I mean Windows Xp Works fine so don't fix what's not broken right?

Yes you are absolutely right. I mean in the first half of the last century we had television. They left that well alone and now look at the state its in. there's a black and white cathode ray in every fifth house.
Central heating, who needs hot water pumped through our houses? We have fire!
transportation, no one would really in there right mind use a train with a perfectly good canal available.
The internet. Dial-up worked. No one really needs broadband.

Adapt, evolve, survive.
If it isn't broken, don't fix it. If it can be improved, go for it.
That is a swear filter. Tongue I installed Labrocca's.

MiNT Wrote:The internet. Dial-up worked. No one really needs broadband.
I'm glad that actually didn't happen. I hate dial-up. Tongue
~ FFW
I used to have Ubuntu installed, but honestly, I never used it. It just took up HDD space. I also had XP installed too, but I never really used that anymore either.

I tried KDE4 out a while back though, and I found the entire effects to be glitchy, and it's not like my video card couldn't handle it (it was a 8800GTS 512 mb). Compiz-Fusion worked great under Ubuntu, so I just came to the conclusion that the effects in KDE4 were poorly written.

So, have the fixed the effects? I remember the minimizing/maximizing effect being extremely buggy. I probably won't install Linux again until I get a new computer and make my current one a Linux box, but that won't be until around 2011, after I had graduated from college.