Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overheating Laptop
Clean the dust out of it.
You guys dont get the point after I replied and said I do not want a cooling pad you continued to say a cooling pad. I dont want the extra equipment to lug around. I said I wanted to know if there were better fans that could be installed and I asked about something called artic silver 5. So forget it
(10-10-2009, 03:20 PM)Mr Lew Wrote: You guys dont get the point after I replied and said I do not want a cooling pad you continued to say a cooling pad. I dont want the extra equipment to lug around. I said I wanted to know if there were better fans that could be installed and I asked about something called artic silver 5. So forget it

Arctic silver is a thermal paste, you use it to improve the contact of a heatsink with the processor, but it conducts heat worse than metal on the heatsink, so you shouldn't completely rely on it.

I suggest you reapply the paste, and clean the dust out while you are at it. Should work a lot better.
(10-10-2009, 03:53 PM)D3N Wrote: Arctic silver is a thermal paste, you use it to improve the contact of a heatsink with the processor, but it conducts heat worse than metal on the heatsink, so you shouldn't completely rely on it.

I suggest you reapply the paste, and clean the dust out while you are at it. Should work a lot better.

Thanks for explaining what it was. I could not find a good source on google explaining it, Some people were saying it was a fan.
Acer recently had a similar problem with a line of Aspire's that had an error in the BIOS that didn't regulate voltages properly causing the EXACT problem you have, they quickly released a BIOS update for all their users to flash in.

Check to see if Dell has done the same thing on their website. Also try emailing them? Dont forget to be careful when flashing your BIOS however...
My HP DV7s graphic card used to overheat when I played COD4, try getting a vacuum and vacuuming out all the vents, sometimes dust and fluff builds up and clogs them.
Probably blocking the fan or something like that... Might have to keep it off your lap or something. I know my dad's laptop fried, but it was a crappy Toshiba. Just be sure not to let it get to hot or that may happen.
[Image: 2T1p.gif] Click me!
normally what i would do it pull the laptop apart and check the voltage on the fan , and manipulate the voltage and drive it to something a lil higher somewhere on the main board...
but then again im a electronics wiz , its not something the average joe blow would do plus it will void your warranty.

to be honest i never was a big fan of dell.
If it still overheats after you clean out the fan then I would get one of those stands with a fan built in or for a cheap solution get a wire cooling tray (the cooking ones) and put it under the computer.
MyBB Support team member.
[Image: smallsig.png]
It could be dust- try opening your laptop and try to clean it- clean where the cooling power is- removed everything, and use an air compressed to get the dust out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Laptop overheating win32.[J]ack[B]arr.dll 19 1,868 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Apocalypse
  Laptop Overheating. Swiftman25 19 3,061 08-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Cannabis