Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Basic]How to Upload files via FTP
This tutorial is going to show you how to upload files to your website (forum files, html/css pages, codes, etc) using a program called Filezilla.

The tutorial will be divided into these parts:

I. Getting a host
II. Getting your FTP information
III. Downloading Filezilla
IV. Finding the correct DIR to Upload Files
V. End

Getting a Host
A webhost is pretty much some giving up their server space for you, whether it being free or for money. You can upload your own files to a webhost or start a website.

Two good webhosts:
987mb.com
bluehost.com

You can find your own if you want, but both of those are great and 987mb is very cheap with a free option.

After you sign-up with your preferred host, move.

Getting your FTP information
FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol," which means you can upload files to a virtual server. You can usually find your FTP information in your sign-up e-mail with your host OR in your control panel.

This information is very important so protect it.

Download Filezilla

Filezilla is a file uploader. It lets you connect to your website and upload files. There are many others free file uploaders, but I recommend and used Filezilla

Official Filezilla Download

Finding the correct DIR to Upload Files

A DIR is a directory, and if you look at the URL of the post, you will see SF's directories. For example, supportforums.net is the root and domain name, but /forums is a directory.

Now that we've got that covered, login into your FTP program. You should see a folder called /root or /index. Open that. This is where you will upload your files. You can upload your files. If you want a homepage, you'll need a .html or .htm file extension or you'll get something that says in black letters in the top saying /INDEX and your dirs will be exposed.

This is not a "how to build a website" tutorial so I will not go into detail on creating a homepage or forum. In the index dir, however, you can uplaod your website or forum files (vbulletin, phpbb3, MyBB) and start up a website.

End

Well thanks for reading through my tutorial. Yes this was 100% written up by me by my own knowledge. If you've made down here, I'd appreciate a +rep if you learned something new or you appreciate the time I put into this tutorial.

Thanks lots
-Radiant
Bumping this up.
(12-23-2010, 12:58 PM)Laugh Wrote: Bumping this up.

Oh Yeah, That was good. IDK why anyone hasn't still noticed Ohmy
Mad
Good for some beginners in web dev.

I wish I had this when I started. Now I am mostly self taught and work things out my own way. =)
[Image: logo2.png]
(12-23-2010, 09:34 PM)Bourd Wrote: Good for some beginners in web dev.

I wish I had this when I started. Now I am mostly self taught and work things out my own way. =)

Yupp, that's how I am too.
Sometimes. Tongue
I usually ask for support on a forum but end up figuring it out by myself.
Very nice thread. I prefer 000webhost for free hosting, however.
[Image: idgjkO.png]
Nice tutorial. I use filezilla too, it's a great program.
Yeah, thanks for reading.
[center]Download Filezilla[/center]

Code:
[align=center][/align]
bro.
(12-25-2010, 09:59 AM)Lith Wrote: [center]Download Filezilla[/center]

Code:
[align=center][/align]
bro.

I know, I originally posted this on an IPB forum. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How would I upload a proxy to my website? GrammarPhreak 4 1,308 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Last Post: GrammarPhreak
  Favorite FTP client? Elektrisk 65 8,030 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Last Post: JMK940
  SJN Upload Center Sam 3 1,137 08-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Sam
  What is the ftp host that starts with Cwa? nevets04 1 655 11-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Akshay*