Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do domain sites get their domains?
(06-09-2010, 05:29 PM)Sam Wrote: What's the most cash you've ever got for a domain?

$40 USD.

And what about you?
Yes, it is all done by ICANN.
You guys should go for it!
★★★★★
Victoire
- Shock!
★★★★★
(11-09-2010, 06:36 PM)Wal-Mart Wrote: Yes, it is all done by ICANN.
You guys should go for it!

Well do you know where I can read more about this ICANN?
www.iCANN.org.

They have a lot of boring information. I've also talked to IANA(The people who handle ccTLDs like .us, .CA, .MX, .ME, etc) and discussed a lot about ccTLDs and how they get propagated, how they work, who runs them, how to get delegated to running them, etc. Now THAT was interesting. Unfortunately a guy like me isn't qualified to run the western african ccTLD. I was disappointed, but learned a LOT.

Also, if you are interested in becoming a registrar you must have a lot of servers, customers, and be able to manage a business with large amounts of people coming in to register from you. They don't allow just any guy to do it, infact the last time I checked it would run you about $25,000 just to apply to become a .com registrar.

However, all is not lost. You can still become a reseller, which means you have another tier on the hierarchy omni listed on the first page.

So it would be

Domain registry
Domain registrar
Domain reseller
Domain registrant

It's not a bad way to go, but you still need a certain amount of startup investment to get into it(Unless you do an affiliate program, but trust me that isn't worth it).

So you'd have to buy in to get a reseller. You have to pre-pay for a lot of domains, and most large ones(Such as eNom, Godaddy, etc - these two are the largest) also require you to pay a certain amount to get cheaper prices. So not only do you have to pre-pay, if you want to sell cheaper domains you have to buy them or else you'll be paying almost top price to get these domains only hoping to sell them for more expensive then what you would pay to the registrar(Thus making it harder to find business).

I haven't been updated on the reseller process in a long time, so I'm sure prices are a tad bit expensive since I last checked.

Brandon
What you will pay to ICANN:

* US$2,500 non-refundable application fee, to be submitted with application.
* US$4,000 yearly accreditation fee due upon approval and each year thereafter.

Firstly you have to be accepted by ICANN of course.

Source: http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accre...ncials.htm
(05-13-2010, 12:10 PM)Omniscient Wrote: They are registrars. They are accredited by ICAAN to sell domains.

Godaddy make a connect to the Registry (Verisign for .com) and tells them to register the domain with the whois data and DNS.

Verisign is a Registry
Godaddy is a Registrar
Domain Owner is the Registrant

Wow, Thanks a lot this opened my eyes a bit Smile
Wow, learnt something new! Smile
And then the domain is sent through something called dns, which takes the domain, sends it through dns to the files locations(host), and the host sends the files to the visitor.

Thought i would add that in.
(11-23-2010, 06:28 PM)MattG Wrote: And then the domain is sent through something called dns, which takes the domain, sends it through dns to the files locations(host), and the host sends the files to the visitor.

Thought i would add that in.

Thanks, might come in handy.
Refer to this:
http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/
(11-23-2010, 08:40 PM)Guest Wrote: Alright, did the 'Support' get removed from SupportForums?
You're not a good Emotional Helper.