Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think my ALFA AWUSO36H is messed up
ok, so to save me some key strokes, ima call it my alfa from now on.

ok, so i get my alfa about 4 months ago.

Worked Great! couldn't complain1 bit

but all of a sudden, i woke up and started the laptop, and the alfa see's my network but when i click to connect, (even though it has the key saved and i have connected 100's of times before) it says blah blah blah cant connect, check to see if the AP is in range and try again!

AW...Grrrr

so thinking it was a reacent app i installed, i went back and pulled out the last one or two wirless apps i installed,.... Same problem!

ok, next... Rollback the RTL drivers......... Same problem.

ok, so next, thinking its something on my windows os, i fired up good old mandriva (linux) .... same problem!

just for fun, i fired up backtrack... ok, cool it sees the card, sees the networks, so i tried to do a packet injection on my router....Cool... it injects. hummm.... drop the card into managed mode and tried to connect...wait...wait...wait... "Cant connect" AHHH!!!

ok, so i was planning to dump the pirate copy of xp that i had anyway, i reformatted the laptop with a genuine(store bought) copy... install just the basic pc's drivers, then the alfa's ......Same problem!

by this time, i figure i wasted $80 on this card. but i had one last option left, so....plugged the alfa up to my wifes laptop....SAME PROBLEM!!!!

so.... the short story, has anyone else experianced any issues with their alfa. i bought mine new from rockwell ( or W/E) and its out of the warent date. I really liked the alfa, but i think im just basically screwed.
Sounds like it's your network settings. I had this same issue.

The problem was my DNS settings in my router. A company had taken over my ISP and changed some stuff around, after that I could no longer connect to my network. (I could on my Desktop)

A 15 minute long call to my ISP to get the new settings fixed it right up. This may not be the case with you, though.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

see, normally i would jump on the network thing also, but heres a rundown of a few things. about 3 weeks before this our isp did change everyones ip addy, and i had to reset my router, no biggy, it was just a firmware reset, my router has been flashed with dd-wrt firmwar. also in my laptop, i have a on board atheros card, that i have had absoulty no problems with ever. weeks ago when they renewed the ip, i had to reset the cable modem, and router, then everything was still working fine. worked good for like i said about three weeks, then just outta the blue, cant connect on the alfa, but the atheros is just fine. with that being said, i have tried on the alfa to automatically get the ipsettings, and also manually add them (yes i know how to do it, this isnt my first rodeo). but still (fart noises) nothing

i have searched all corrners of the net, from forum to forum, and it seems as this model of the alfa ##36h was not their best, and i should of bout the ##36AH (or whatever). idk, i have seen that rockwell as a modle that is comparable to the alfa, i might try that one next, and just keep the antenna off the alfa.