Support Forums

Full Version: I think my ALFA AWUSO36H is messed up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok, so to save me some key strokes, ima call it my alfa from now on.

ok, so i get my alfa about 4 months ago.

Worked Great! couldn't complain1 bit

but all of a sudden, i woke up and started the laptop, and the alfa see's my network but when i click to connect, (even though it has the key saved and i have connected 100's of times before) it says blah blah blah cant connect, check to see if the AP is in range and try again!

AW...Grrrr

so thinking it was a reacent app i installed, i went back and pulled out the last one or two wirless apps i installed,.... Same problem!

ok, next... Rollback the RTL drivers......... Same problem.

ok, so next, thinking its something on my windows os, i fired up good old mandriva (linux) .... same problem!

just for fun, i fired up backtrack... ok, cool it sees the card, sees the networks, so i tried to do a packet injection on my router....Cool... it injects. hummm.... drop the card into managed mode and tried to connect...wait...wait...wait... "Cant connect" AHHH!!!

ok, so i was planning to dump the pirate copy of xp that i had anyway, i reformatted the laptop with a genuine(store bought) copy... install just the basic pc's drivers, then the alfa's ......Same problem!

by this time, i figure i wasted $80 on this card. but i had one last option left, so....plugged the alfa up to my wifes laptop....SAME PROBLEM!!!!

so.... the short story, has anyone else experianced any issues with their alfa. i bought mine new from rockwell ( or W/E) and its out of the warent date. I really liked the alfa, but i think im just basically screwed.
Sounds like it's your network settings. I had this same issue.

The problem was my DNS settings in my router. A company had taken over my ISP and changed some stuff around, after that I could no longer connect to my network. (I could on my Desktop)

A 15 minute long call to my ISP to get the new settings fixed it right up. This may not be the case with you, though.
see, normally i would jump on the network thing also, but heres a rundown of a few things. about 3 weeks before this our isp did change everyones ip addy, and i had to reset my router, no biggy, it was just a firmware reset, my router has been flashed with dd-wrt firmwar. also in my laptop, i have a on board atheros card, that i have had absoulty no problems with ever. weeks ago when they renewed the ip, i had to reset the cable modem, and router, then everything was still working fine. worked good for like i said about three weeks, then just outta the blue, cant connect on the alfa, but the atheros is just fine. with that being said, i have tried on the alfa to automatically get the ipsettings, and also manually add them (yes i know how to do it, this isnt my first rodeo). but still (fart noises) nothing

i have searched all corrners of the net, from forum to forum, and it seems as this model of the alfa ##36h was not their best, and i should of bout the ##36AH (or whatever). idk, i have seen that rockwell as a modle that is comparable to the alfa, i might try that one next, and just keep the antenna off the alfa.