Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To: Omni
I found something you should know if you decide to make a forums where you need to pay to access. If you change your user agent to Googlebot you can access that part oof the site for free. Just thought you should know.
It is easy to set up whether search bots can or can not access a certain part of a forum. It can be configured from the admin panel.
The only reason people let bots crawl the forum, requiring registration for normal users is because they want to generate more traffic from people using search engines to find their forum, and if the forum requires mandatory registration for everyone including google, it's going be ranked really low on the list since there is nothing for it to crawl.
I'm not Omni, but that isn't really true
Bots belong to a specific group on the forum and have specific privileges... if he doesn't allow the group to view a forum the User-Agent change won't help you view it
Well I tested it on hack forums and it worked.
bots, have the same permissions as guests by default in mybb.
well I got into "hitler was here" on HF with Googlebot logged out of my non-leet account.
There has always been times when guest and normal members could get in the xxx section.
I bet you couldn't get into staff section.
That's because it was permitted to. It's not an exploit or anything. Admins do it on purpose.
okay. I admit defeat. sorry to waste your time.(pretend this thread is closed)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Omni can we please.... DAMINKā„¢ 15 1,434 03-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Last Post: Prince
  Too Omni Chief 9 2,169 08-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Solidus
  For you, Omni! Braco22 21 1,342 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Omniscient
  Omni should NekoChan 2 423 03-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Omniscient
  My Thanks To Omni. Emotion 22 1,821 11-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Last Post: C4Vendetta