Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Port forwarding.
Ok I want other people and myself to connect to my PC remotely to certain tasks away from it. The only problem is I don't know how to do that :/ If any one could help, it would be much appreciated.

I really need help with this.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
.::The Rights of Man::.
You could either start a server on your system but thats overkill or you could simply install gotomypc or a similar remote access tool.
I used to use it years ago when i needed remote access and it worked quite well.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(12-24-2009, 02:39 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: You could either start a server on your system but thats overkill or you could simply install gotomypc or a similar remote access tool.
I used to use it years ago when i needed remote access and it worked quite well.
I run linux; but also I would much rather do it the conventional way. If you were to set up a Virtual Server... how would you do that?
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
If your runnin linux then i would just install the server. Nice and simple. All you would then need is a free domain incase you have a dynamic ip.
Or perhaps even VNC. Thats normally installed default.
I think 5901 is the port for VNC.
The Rules!

(12-24-2009, 02:47 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: If your runnin linux then i would just install the server. Nice and simple. All you would then need is a free domain incase you have a dynamic ip.
Or perhaps even VNC. Thats normally installed default.
I think 5901 is the port for VNC.
Would I get the GUI with that? I am was trying to do it via SSH but, if you have a better way....
Cant beat SSH but porting through that is a little more complicated. However the better way to go than just running VNC openly.
As for how to set it up through SSH i cant say. I have never tried. I have seen many a tut online though and should be easy to find.
I guess it ultimately depends on what you want to achieve from the connection.
If its just fileshare then obviously a server is the easiest way.
But if its to do more then perhaps VNC is the way to go.
The Rules!

(12-24-2009, 02:56 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Cant beat SSH but porting through that is a little more complicated. However the better way to go than just running VNC openly.
As for how to set it up through SSH i cant say. I have never tried. I have seen many a tut online though and should be easy to find.
I guess it ultimately depends on what you want to achieve from the connection.
If its just fileshare then obviously a server is the easiest way.
But if its to do more then perhaps VNC is the way to go.
In order to setup the SSH, I need figure out how to forward my router for it... I don't know how though....
You should have the ability to assign a particular port to a specific machine in your router.
Lets say you want ssh. So you want to forward port 22 to your machine. Your machines local address not your routers ip address ofcourse.
Then you need to open ssh in your firewall also.
The Rules!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Port Forwarding Untitled 5 1,480 03-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Last Post: brendanle78
  port forwarding hinmar 9 3,059 08-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Last Post: hinmar
  Port Forwarding SURFboard SB5100 RPicard 1 4,328 12-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Last Post: RPicard
  Port Forwarding not working! Extasey 16 5,021 10-29-2009, 03:58 AM
Last Post: Extasey