Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How should I get started with Mybb plugins?
I'm really wanting to get started with making plugins for Mybb and I've read Omni's tutorial on Mybbcentral, and the Mybboard.net wiki on authoring plugins. I still haven't grasped the concept. Can somebody let me know what I need to do to get started with this. And don't say something like "Learn PHP" because that's way to broad. What do I specifically need to know?
Robert Picard
http://www.rpicard.net
Start by viewing some plugins and how they work. Do easy plugins that use one hook and are simple. You can obtain a lot of GNU/GPL plugins at Mybboard Mods section.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
The thing that took me a while to grasp was hooks. This is how you use them:

PHP Code:
$plugins->add_hook('global_start''plugin_name'); 

Unsurprisingly, global_start is a hook run near the start of global.php... basically when global.php is run it runs the global_start hook, and find all plugins that use that hook. Then, in the plugins that use it, it just runs the function with the name you specified in the code above. So, here, it would look for a function called plugin_name and just run it whenever the global_start hook is run. There's a list of hooks here. Adding templates/settings is easy and you can pretty much copy that from other plugins, there's only really one way of doing those.
MyBB Support Team Lead
Alright, I'm going to start looking into some basic plugins and see if I can figure something out.
Robert Picard
Lol I'm still pulling a white screen for my twitter plugin Sad I'll get it though, I have all day tomorrow and sunday to work on it. I hope to get it released, it'd be nice to have something next to the little away man with your twitter ID.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
(12-18-2009, 06:36 PM)Grizzly Wrote: Lol I'm still pulling a white screen for my twitter plugin Sad I'll get it though, I have all day tomorrow and sunday to work on it. I hope to get it released, it'd be nice to have something next to the little away man with your twitter ID.

And who's idea was that...Whistle
Robert Picard
Feel free to PM me the code and I'll have a look Smile
MyBB Support Team Lead
Well, it's a wasted effort now, it was for a twitter plugin and Omni already did what I was going to do lol.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MYBB Plugins Crystal 11 2,090 09-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Crystal
  What is your favorite mybb plugins? ELY_M 2 1,100 09-15-2011, 04:42 AM
Last Post: HaX420
  Creating Mybb Plugins Closed Account 5 1,918 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  How to Make your MYBB Central Plugin Compatible with new Mybb Billy Mays 3 1,894 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Billy Mays
  Question about a few plugins. DaBaws 4 1,151 03-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Last Post: DaBaws