Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OS choice
My bad.

I can't delete this post.

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:

1. Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
2. You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
3. Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)

You are currently logged in with the username: 'Hanzo'
Def FreeBSD
I use CentOS or Debian Etch but I hear FreeBSD is good.
If you have any problems with the forum, feel free to email me via the User CP, or send me a Private Message.
lol what was that about hanzo
Going to try out Ubuntu Linux.
(10-06-2009, 10:41 PM)HaruhiSuzumiya Wrote: Isn't FreeBSD the default OS on most servers?
Centos and Ubuntu are the most common next to fedora.
CentOS is probably the most commonly used Linux distro for web servers.

bsd is definitely a good choice though, thats what I ran my personal server on for a few years.

When I had a hosting company it was CentOS.

What you need to think about is maintenance. Most hosts won't offer support for it, but, for CentOS and a few other distros they will. Unless you are a top notch admin you're going to need to find someone, whether your host or a management company, to help you out when you get in over your head, and believe me, unless you have years of experience you eventually will.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
I think that Cent OS is the most popular Linux server out there and there some apps like HyperVM and KLOXO that require Cent OS. The only thing is that when the vulnerability of the kernel was released about a month or so back they where kind of slow to issue a patch. I think it was Debian that released the 1st patch for Etch and Lenny on ther server distros. I have sites that use Cent OS and Debian and never had any problems or downtime. Whistle

I guess it is best to use what your comfortable with like Omini mentioned Victoire
One thing I want to say, is there is no reason to install Windows on a server unless you are planning on using a Windows proprietary language, such as .asp.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
That's not really true. I have heard few complaints about windows servers. It's a lot easier to manage for people who don't have experience with linux.