Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OS choice
Okay this is probly gonna get alot of differtn responses

but what would the best OS for a webserver/irc server?
Mine is surely FreeBSD. The ports system, default security, and OpenBSD PF firewall make it an amazing OS. It's also very stable and easy to maintain.

As for an IRC server..pretty much any *nix system will do that just fine. What are you most comfortable with is probably what you should use.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
considering HF, SF and all of omni's forums run on a freeBSD server im guessing thats probably the one to go with
yea thats what im thinking of running once i get my server when i get back to michigan was smack freebsd on
The only problem with freebsd is many hosts don't offer much support of it when you need something. I've never used ti but if you stick with cent os or fedora almost any host will help you out.
I'm not educated on this subject but I'd have to say Omniscient probably has the most experience of all of us so I'll agree with him.
Isn't FreeBSD the default OS on most servers?
(10-06-2009, 10:41 PM)HaruhiSuzumiya Wrote: Isn't FreeBSD the default OS on most servers?

I don't know what hosts your looking at. I often see CentOS or other linux distros over FreeBSD.
I wish Freebsd was the first choice. I really do. But sadly it isn't.

I prefer Bsd to linux, (For servers) But they just don't offer enough of them
Cent OS is used alot in conjunction with cPanel.
Quote:Who has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap.......Bob Kelso......Have we met?
[Image: BobKelso.jpg]