Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
http://breshie.com - Home Made Blog
Its different and simple. But effective once content gets added to it.
Obviously needs a whole SEO job done on it but that will come after content etc i imagine.
You should prob use a script for the contact page. Simple php one instead of having your email address scrapable. (might get spam)
But all in all its different.
Everyone runs wordpress or similar. Its refreshing to see someone coding from scratch instead of hitting the install button.
Sure its super early days and basic but i am interested to see where it goes.
Good luck with it BreShiE.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(02-07-2012, 05:39 PM)BreShiE Wrote: I honestly don't see why it's so important to have a design which is "up to date". Seen as though it's a personal site, why can't I have it to my personal prefrences of design?

I will probably re-do or spice up the site though, I think it looks a little dull and boring at the moment.

Maybe me and you just have different ideas of what personal websites should be about.
My mindset is to not only showcase the content, but also the website itself. If everything is modern, up to date, sleek and professional, it's like saying to everyone that visits, "look how good I am at making websites".
You can stick to the basics sure, but would you not rather experiment more, and think outside of the box when it comes to something personal? If it was for a client then obviously you'd have guidelines and time restrictions to follow, but with it being for yourself, there are no rules, limitations or boundaries, so would you not want to try something a little more interesting?
I like the simplicity, allowing the reader navigate easily around it.
The colors are similar, so it looks smooth and not freakish.

You should drop the height so that the container will just adjust to its contents. If you dont and you start adding more content, it will overflow which would look a bit iffy.
Id try a differnet font, Times is just too common, try Verdana.

Are you adding the contents of the blog direct through HTML? If so, try coding a PHP Blogging system, isnt too hard and will make everything much easier. And as already said in this thread, will allow you to blog whereever you are.
(02-10-2012, 03:58 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Its different and simple. But effective once content gets added to it.
Obviously needs a whole SEO job done on it but that will come after content etc i imagine.
You should prob use a script for the contact page. Simple php one instead of having your email address scrapable. (might get spam)
But all in all its different.
Everyone runs wordpress or similar. Its refreshing to see someone coding from scratch instead of hitting the install button.
Sure its super early days and basic but i am interested to see where it goes.
Good luck with it BreShiE.

Thanks, DAMINK. I just wanted to keep the site on HTML/CSS that's why I haven't got any PHP in there at all. I usually do create a mailing system, like I did on executable. But I thought I'd allow this one for multi-options.

(02-10-2012, 05:29 PM)Fragma Wrote: Maybe me and you just have different ideas of what personal websites should be about.
My mindset is to not only showcase the content, but also the website itself. If everything is modern, up to date, sleek and professional, it's like saying to everyone that visits, "look how good I am at making websites".
You can stick to the basics sure, but would you not rather experiment more, and think outside of the box when it comes to something personal? If it was for a client then obviously you'd have guidelines and time restrictions to follow, but with it being for yourself, there are no rules, limitations or boundaries, so would you not want to try something a little more interesting?

As I also said it that post, I will be re-doing it. This only took me an hour to do so it wasn't that big of a project. I have a lot of planning to do and work/research to do for that course I may be creating, so after things settle down and things start getting easier, I will be re-doing the whole site. I already have a plan on what it's going to look like. If I get the time I'll make an example in Photoshop to show you.

(02-10-2012, 11:37 PM)BleepyEvans Wrote: I like the simplicity, allowing the reader navigate easily around it.
The colors are similar, so it looks smooth and not freakish.

You should drop the height so that the container will just adjust to its contents. If you dont and you start adding more content, it will overflow which would look a bit iffy.
Id try a differnet font, Times is just too common, try Verdana.

Are you adding the contents of the blog direct through HTML? If so, try coding a PHP Blogging system, isnt too hard and will make everything much easier. And as already said in this thread, will allow you to blog whereever you are.

I already have an idea for that, I'm going to create a "content" div and wrap the text in it to allow for scroll bars, so it wont overlap. But as I said above I'm going to be re-doing the site so there's no point in doing that yet.

Also, I know my cPanel username/password off-by-heart so I can update it wherever I am anyway, no need for a system.
This thread needs a little bump.
As long as you enjoy seeing the to your liking, then keep it.

I personally enjoy seeing simple templates, Good luck with your site though.
Not really much of a blog, since it's coded in html.
Learn php, code a really simple CMS and then work on the layout, then come back and claim your coding a blog.
[Image: image.php]
Aww, wicked domain grab. Big Grin
Sadly, blackchaos.com is taken lol.

The site looks pretty good for an update site or "blog". Could use a snappier logo though. Just saying. Whistle
(02-11-2012, 12:56 AM)BreShiE Wrote: Also, I know my cPanel username/password off-by-heart so I can update it wherever I am anyway, no need for a system.

Thats way too much work for me to be bothered. Id rather just beable to login to an area, type and hit post.
Signing into Cpanel, accessing Filemanager, downloading the file, opening it an editor, saving it and reuploading it is way too much effort for me. Id have given up already.

site looks strange and poorly coded tbh.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Casual Forums - The best place to chat, casually! | http://casualforums.net/ Sickshot 15 2,632 09-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Providence
  http://www.seoproteam.co.uk Billy Mays 0 737 08-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Last Post: Billy Mays
  Forumdex - The Home of your Forum The Elite 0 616 07-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Last Post: The Elite
  B.O.C My Blog Airsoftgunsruz 2 1,035 12-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Airsoftgunsruz
  http://sickshot.us.to/ - Personal Website - [TEMPLATE DOWNLOAD INCLUDED] Sickshot 3 1,110 10-24-2010, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Sam