Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skrillex - First Of The Year
(01-24-2012, 05:39 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: Fragma, now I personally just see some tension between your view on the guy and how you relate that to not being dubstep though. "Alternative" usually comes with a second definition, meaning it's usually "Alternative Rock", "Alternative ?", etc...

Just Alternative.

(01-24-2012, 05:39 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: To be a music producer in dubstep you could look like the hag for all anyone cares, you may not show yourself, but it's the music that people love, not you as a person if you produce music. You might get fans, but even so, it's probably not because of the way you look. Unless your someone with naturally good looks like some actors out there that people define as their "crush".

I'm not denying that people like him, I'm saying I dislike him, both him as a person, and his music.

(01-24-2012, 05:39 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: I still have to see the reason why you call it "Skrillex giving dubstep producers a bad name" as he's basically revolutionized the idea of dubstep into a higher public view. Without him, dubstep may have not even been known by the public like it is today. Whether you call it real dubstep or not, he still gave more publicity to the name "dubstep" as far as i'm concerned.

That's because you're in Canada, and Dubstep has only just reached that area of the world in the past year. It's been all around Europe since 07/8 and in England since about 06. "he still gave more publicity to the name "dubstep" as far as i'm concerned." No lol. Skream and Benga spread Dubstep around the whole world. Without those 2 people, Dubstep wouldn't even exist. Skrillex is just some new guy that's trying to get down with the kids, and strangely enough he's succeeding.
I'm not that bothered though as I know it's just a phase.. People who like Skrillex now will stop listening to him soon and Dubstep can be what it once was again.

(01-24-2012, 05:39 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: "Alternative Dubstep" at the most, you can still classify or speak about it as "Dubstep". And now that it's recognized by record companies as dubstep, I don't see a reason not to believe them for selling their label. Same thing as "Alternative Rock" and "Rock", even though Alternative Rock can sound a LOT different than Rock by itself from a standpoint, the majority of it is just "Light Rock" for people that don't listen to the moderately heavier stuff. And then you have "Metal" and all of it's subclasses, which are still defined by the public as a form of Rock, because you've got a drummer, a guitarist, and all the components of what Rock stands for for most people.

It would just be Alternative. It's not Dubstep. Yes it may have stemmed from Dubstep, but you could quite as easily say that about all music... Every genre takes influences from other genres, which is how music develops.. You could say that Jazz influenced Dance if you track back enough... That doesn't mean they should both be generalized into one genre though does it? As for your point about Rock, if that was the case, then you would generalize Dubstep as a sub-genre of Dance music.

(01-24-2012, 05:39 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: I'm not saying that Dubstep has to be what Skrillex makes, i'm just saying that's the way I see it, and that the reason for why you're not calling it dupstep is more based on personal opinion about the guy himself in this case. Some personal "hate" towards him for the guy becoming more popular than the dubstep artists that you enjoy more than Skrillex? I'm not sure, and i'm not going to assume anything, but I can't see it being related to any kind of logical reason for why you don't call his genre dubstep.

It's not just personal opinion.. If I'm honest, maybe Skrillex isn't to blame... Maybe Youtube is to blame.. If Skrillex was never labelled as a Dubstep artist by the Youtube community, you would have never related his music to the Dubstep genre, because quite frankly, his music, and real Dubstep sound absolutely nothing alike.

Ask anyone who listened to Dubstep only 2 or so years ago and they'll say the same as me.. People who are labelling Skrillex as Dubstep are ruining it for those who have stuck with the genre from the beginning. You have your opinions, I have mine. I feel like you're trying your very hardest to persuade me that Skrillex is Dubstep... I've been listening to Dubstep for 6 years now and my opinions on this subject won't change, so you can keep trying to claim that his music is Dubstep, just as the rest of the Youtube American kids are doing, and I'll sit and wait until the "trend" dies down.

Fragma Wrote:Skream and Benga spread Dubstep around the whole world. Without those 2 people, Dubstep wouldn't even exist. Skrillex is just some new guy that's trying to get down with the kids, and strangely enough he's succeeding.

I heard about Skrillex here far before I ever heard of Skream and Benga though. And until I met you as a member here I still didn't know about them to be honest, so that has to say at least something in terms of who publicized the genre more.

I still know people that listen to Skrillex all day, and most other dubstep, but not heard about Skream or Benga. And were involved in dubstep before they knew about Skrillex (assuming there's no debate on whether Skrillex is dubstep or not).

Being that your in the UK, you could not possibly comprehend what is more publicly available for the "dubstep" name here though where I live, whether we've as you imply "got the wrong idea about real dubstep here" or not.
(01-24-2012, 06:17 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: I heard about Skrillex here far before I ever heard of Skream and Benga though. And until I met you as a member here I still didn't know about them to be honest, so that has to say at least something in terms of who publicized the genre more.

I still know people that listen to Skrillex all day, and most other dubstep, but not heard about Skream or Benga. And were involved in dubstep before they knew about Skrillex (assuming there's no debate on whether Skrillex is dubstep or not).

Being that your in the UK, you could not possibly comprehend what is more publicly available for the "dubstep" name here though where I live, whether we've as you imply "got the wrong idea about real dubstep here" or not.

Skrillex might have made it better known in America & Canada, but the world is a much bigger place than that..
If you claim to be a Dubstep fan, (not you personally), and you don't know who Skream & Benga are, then that's just embarrassing.
It would be like being a Hip Hop fan and not knowing who Tupac is.
They started the genre. They introduced the genre to the whole of Europe, who in turn introduced it to the rest of the world, and finally America/Canada. (Dubstep started to get pretty big around Asia in 2010ish). They've been THE Dubstep "gods" for the past 6/7 years.

(01-24-2012, 06:17 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: you could not possibly comprehend what is more publicly available for the "dubstep" name here

Not sure what you mean by that?

(01-24-2012, 06:41 PM)Fragma Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 06:17 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: you could not possibly comprehend what is more publicly available for the "dubstep" name here
Not sure what you mean by that?

Just that for the reason that I don't know anything about the UK, that you would have less knowledge about what the trends are and what is popularized in CAN.

WHICH, actually could be the reason for our differing views to be honest, so this could be an endless debate anyway. I'm not here to tell you that you're wrong Fragma lol Smile No worries.
Why is this in the cell phone section?

OT: I don't like dubstep usually, but this is actually pretty cool.
(01-24-2012, 08:08 PM)SoulCake. Wrote: Why is this in the cell phone section?

OT: I don't like dubstep usually, but this is actually pretty cool.

Read the full forum title:

Quote:Cell Phones, MP3 and PDA Help

Some people post here, even though it is technically "MP3 help" but they see MP3 and post things here anyway. I would agree with you though it should have gone into "Media Moguls". Smile
(01-24-2012, 09:28 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: Read the full forum title:

Quote:Cell Phones, MP3 and PDA Help
Some people post here, even though it is technically "MP3 help" but they see MP3 and post things here anyway. I would agree with you though it should have gone into "Media Moguls". Smile

Oh, I assumed that meant MP3 players. My bad.
(01-25-2012, 12:18 AM)SoulCake. Wrote:
AceInfinity Wrote:Some people post here, even though it is technically "MP3 help" but they see MP3 and post things here anyway. I would agree with you though it should have gone into "Media Moguls". Smile

Oh, I assumed that meant MP3 players. My bad.

I never said you were wrong SoulCake lol Smile It DOES mean MP3 players, read the description of the forum area now and you'll see Smile

Quote:For support on cellular phones, personal data assistants, and MP3 players please add your topic here.
Ah, I'll request it to be moved.
I don't approve of the child smoking...
Meow Meow Meow Meow, Meow Meow Meow Meow, Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Benny Benassi - Cinema (Skrillex Remix) VeNoMz 24 3,086 09-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Last Post: .edit