Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skrillex - First Of The Year
I see what you're trying to say, but even the structure isn't the same with Skrillex. The only thing that remains is that it's 2 step..
Skrillex doesn't even have structure in his songs.. It's like he's just gathered as many annoying samples as he could find together, and slammed them into the space of a minute (excluding the intro and outro).

If I took something you really loved and made it as bad as I possibly could, you wouldn't be too happy would you? Especially if everybody forgot about what you loved and only knew about what I made out of it.

People these days hear Dubstep and think Skrillex... Which is just a complete joke, and embarrassment for the genre.
(01-19-2012, 05:48 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: That shouldn't be your reason for not classifying it as dubstep though. I make electro, and what he does is definitely not electro, I don't make house, but I do make trance, and even house and trance differ quite a lot.

That's strange, because many actually classify Dubstep as a sub-genre within Electro.. House and Electro aren't that dissimilar. Trance is a whole different story.
I'm not usually a fan of Wikipedia, but if you check out their Dubstep page, you'll notice it says:
Dubstep (/ˈdʌbstɛp/) is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in South London

I wouldn't agree with that personally, however I do think Skrillex has a lot of Electro influences in his music.. It's pretty obvious to see.
(01-19-2012, 05:29 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: Take Trance, and Psytrance as another example, Psytrance is still trance, but a more developed category on it's own. That's what this concept is here with skrillex and trying to classify him out of dubstep.

Exactly! What annoys me is that people refer to his music as Dubstep... Why can't they call it something else like Awfulstep?
Nice song and I'm a huge fun of Dubstep too. Yeah. It gets a bit boring after 1:20.

Haha. Nice to know you are also a fan, Omni.
[Image: dry271b.png]
(01-19-2012, 05:56 AM)Fragma Wrote: I see what you're trying to say, but even the structure isn't the same with Skrillex. The only thing that remains is that it's 2 step..
Skrillex doesn't even have structure in his songs.. It's like he's just gathered as many annoying samples as he could find together, and slammed them into the space of a minute (excluding the intro and outro).

If I took something you really loved and made it as bad as I possibly could, you wouldn't be too happy would you? Especially if everybody forgot about what you loved and only knew about what I made out of it.

People these days hear Dubstep and think Skrillex... Which is just a complete joke, and embarrassment for the genre.
That's strange, because many actually classify Dubstep as a sub-genre within Electro.. House and Electro aren't that dissimilar. Trance is a whole different story.
I'm not usually a fan of Wikipedia, but if you check out their Dubstep page, you'll notice it says:
Dubstep (/ˈdʌbstɛp/) is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in South London

I wouldn't agree with that personally, however I do think Skrillex has a lot of Electro influences in his music.. It's pretty obvious to see.
(01-19-2012, 05:29 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: Take Trance, and Psytrance as another example, Psytrance is still trance, but a more developed category on it's own. That's what this concept is here with skrillex and trying to classify him out of dubstep.
Exactly! What annoys me is that people refer to his music as Dubstep... Why can't they call it something else like Awfulstep?

Actually he does have structure, there's structure in most songs that sound good, it's just the laws of music theory lol. People tend to weed out the music that they don't like because our ears have natural instinct to interpret a structure as the music plays. If something doesn't seem right, then it automatically sounds bad. His structure just seems chaotic because of his mix of sounds, but timing, rhythm, chunks from beginning to end, it's all there, just in a more complex arrangement.

It may sound a lot different but now that it's been accepted as dubstep by society anyway, I don't see how you can avoid it being dubstep, even if it's a really revolutionized version of the kind you like.

I don't see it as an embarrassment though to the genre. Everyone starts making skrillex dubstep now anyway.
Basically, Fragma is a dubstep hipster and hates how it has changed. Can't say I blame you because I know how that feels, but that's all I'm seeing.

edit: Fragma do you happen to know the song Rusko did that started he 'new' Dubstep on accident?
@Fragma, thought I'd look into the proper dubstep today, and it's fair to say I like it a lot more, if this is the real dubstep then it's awesome!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr21MblV0...re=related
Watch out, people put Rusko's name on things Rusko didn't create. Not saying he didn't make that, but people do that.
I love skrillex, best dubstep artist IMO.

Yes, Skrillex is dubstep to me, I don't care about you hipsters(Fragma).
[Image: Nyan.jpg]
(01-24-2012, 04:44 PM)NekoChan Wrote: I love skrillex, best dubstep artist IMO.

Yes, Skrillex is dubstep to me, I don't care about you hipsters(Fragma).

lol, I thought Skrillex was dubstep too, but I was just trying to see Fragma's point of view as to why he doesn't consider it dubstep. I personally don't see any other kind of genre that it could belong to though, which was my reason for making it classified as dubstep.
(01-24-2012, 04:55 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: lol, I thought Skrillex was dubstep too, but I was just trying to see Fragma's point of view as to why he doesn't consider it dubstep. I personally don't see any other kind of genre that it could belong to though, which was my reason for making it classified as dubstep.

How about "Alternative"? That's what the outsider genres like to class themselves as.. As long as Skrillex stops giving true Dubstep producers a bad name then I don't care what he calls himself.

(01-24-2012, 04:25 PM)Laugh Wrote: Watch out, people put Rusko's name on things Rusko didn't create. Not saying he didn't make that, but people do that.

That is Rusko's song. People usually just get the title of the track wrong.

(01-24-2012, 04:23 PM)BreShiE Wrote: @Fragma, thought I'd look into the proper dubstep today, and it's fair to say I like it a lot more, if this is the real dubstep then it's awesome!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr21MblV0...re=related

That's the kind of music that started the whole "Brostep" movement. I like it because it actually has a decent structure, and doesn't make your ears bleed, unlike the idiot below who looks like he's had fight with a pair of scissors and lost:
[Image: skrillex-earmilk.png]

Not "proper" Dubstep though, but a sub-genre within Dubstep.
This tune pretty much defines what Dubstep is, so no need for me to explain any further:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6pTSGvp7T8[/youtube]
Fragma, now I personally just see some tension between your view on the guy and how you relate that to not being dubstep though. "Alternative" usually comes with a second definition, meaning it's usually "Alternative Rock", "Alternative ?", etc...

To be a music producer in dubstep you could look like the hag for all anyone cares, you may not show yourself, but it's the music that people love, not you as a person if you produce music. You might get fans, but even so, it's probably not because of the way you look. Unless your someone with naturally good looks like some actors out there that people define as their "crush".

I still have to see the reason why you call it "Skrillex giving dubstep producers a bad name" as he's basically revolutionized the idea of dubstep into a higher public view. Without him, dubstep may have not even been known by the public like it is today. Whether you call it real dubstep or not, he still gave more publicity to the name "dubstep" as far as i'm concerned.

"Alternative Dubstep" at the most, you can still classify or speak about it as "Dubstep". And now that it's recognized by record companies as dubstep, I don't see a reason not to believe them for selling their label. Same thing as "Alternative Rock" and "Rock", even though Alternative Rock can sound a LOT different than Rock by itself from a standpoint, the majority of it is just "Light Rock" for people that don't listen to the moderately heavier stuff. And then you have "Metal" and all of it's subclasses, which are still defined by the public as a form of Rock, because you've got a drummer, a guitarist, and all the components of what Rock stands for for most people.

I'm not saying that Dubstep has to be what Skrillex makes, i'm just saying that's the way I see it, and that the reason for why you're not calling it dupstep is more based on personal opinion about the guy himself in this case. Some personal "hate" towards him for the guy becoming more popular than the dubstep artists that you enjoy more than Skrillex? I'm not sure, and i'm not going to assume anything, but I can't see it being related to any kind of logical reason for why you don't call his genre dubstep.

~Ace

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Benny Benassi - Cinema (Skrillex Remix) VeNoMz 24 3,086 09-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Last Post: .edit