Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skrillex - First Of The Year
(01-19-2012, 12:28 AM)Omniscient Wrote: I'm huge Dubstep fan. I got no problems with Skrillex. Is he the best? Nah..but he's creating the most accessible Dubstep out there.

Care to share some of your favourites with me/us? I don't listen to dubstep all that often so I don't know many songs.
I'd be interested in seeing as well what Omni's interested in.
Can I please just clear this up now... Skrillex isn't Dubstep. It's more just really heavy electro/house/hardcore..
To say he makes Dubstep is an insult to people like Skream and Benga who started the genre.

By the way in case some of you are wondering why I get so annoyed by this... I've been listening to Dubstep since it first started to really develop into it's own genre, back in about 2006. Back then, it was our (the UK's) genre to be proud of. It was the most exciting genre of music. It was like slow drum and bass and jungle / dub / garage / grime, all in one.
Now all of a sudden it's got popular, which obviously was bound to happen, and because it's popular, you get people all over the world listening to it. Like everything that moves from country to country, it starts to change.. Like Chinese whispers.. And finally it got to America.. Now we all know how extreme some Americans can be when it comes to trying to be different, and Skrillex is a prime example.. He's taken a genre that I've listened to since it began, and completely destroyed it for me, forgetting about it's roots, and what the purpose of Dubstep is. I honestly feel like he's taken the English flag and spat all over it. I can't listen to Dubstep now because idiots like Skrillex have ruined it for me.. I can't deal with the annoying 13 year old american kids on Youtube talking about how "dirty that drop was"..

No electro is much different in structure, there's hardly any relation to what Skrillex does and Electro and definitely not House. House is a new ballgame all together definitely.

I would agree to some point, but Skrillex is still an extreme version of dubstep, genre's DO evolve, they don't always stay the same. Look at how rock has progressed from the 50's. Now it's split into many categories of a similar genre. There's a few other good dubstep creators that I know of that most don't, but there's not a single specific style of dubstep that everyone has to abide by.

I'll show you a genre of dubstep that will explain how there's many different kinds of dubstep out there. Here's a very unique artist that I have in my computer.

Listen to the "beginning" of what WE know as "dubstep" around 0:53 in the video.
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKMBSk4zyS0[/yt]

Then you look at other styles like the remixes from Tron and all that. It has evolved. Nobody can create the same stuff as one another, so that's where evolution is inevitable.
(01-19-2012, 04:57 AM)Fragma Wrote: Can I please just clear this up now... Skrillex isn't Dubstep. It's more just really heavy electro/house/hardcore..
To say he makes Dubstep is an insult to people like Skream and Benga who started the genre.

By the way in case some of you are wondering why I get so annoyed by this... I've been listening to Dubstep since it first started to really develop into it's own genre, back in about 2006. Back then, it was our (the UK's) genre to be proud of. It was the most exciting genre of music. It was like slow drum and bass and jungle / dub / garage / grime, all in one.
Now all of a sudden it's got popular, which obviously was bound to happen, and because it's popular, you get people all over the world listening to it. Like everything that moves from country to country, it starts to change.. Like Chinese whispers.. And finally it got to America.. Now we all know how extreme some Americans can be when it comes to trying to be different, and Skrillex is a prime example.. He's taken a genre that I've listened to since it began, and completely destroyed it for me, forgetting about it's roots, and what the purpose of Dubstep is. I honestly feel like he's taken the English flag and spat all over it. I can't listen to Dubstep now because idiots like Skrillex have ruined it for me.. I can't deal with the annoying 13 year old american kids on Youtube talking about how "dirty that drop was"..

See, but this is the kind of 'Dubstep' I like. There's been a few old dubstep songs that I've hated, and to be honest, I don't like all of Skrillex's songs, they all seem to have the same flow with a different pitch to me, but I do like this one, a lot! Everyone has a difference in opinion. Post some of the stuff that you like Fragma, I'll give my views on it.
(01-19-2012, 05:04 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: No electro is much different in structure, there's hardly any relation to what Skrillex does and Electro and definitely not House. House is a new ballgame all together definitely.

But then how is it Dubstep? Because it has some wobble effects in it? Compare the Skrillex song in this thread to this song by Benga & Coki which was actually the song that started the whole Dubstep movement:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMR5K2QWfJk[/youtube]

They're nothing alike. If Skrillex is far from being Electro, then he's even farther from being Dubstep.

(01-19-2012, 05:04 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: I would agree to some point, but Skrillex is still an extreme version of dubstep, genre's DO evolve, they don't always stay the same. Look at how rock has progressed from the 50's. Now it's split into many categories of a similar genre. There's a few other good dubstep creators that I know of that most don't, but there's not a single specific style of dubstep that everyone has to abide by.

That can be said for all music though. The point I'm making is the way he structures his songs doesn't fit with the Dubstep "criteria".. So it's like it's evolved, and then became a genre of its own.. Check out the comparison above again.. There are no similarities what so ever, so how can both be called Dubstep?
It actually all started with a guy called Rusko who, for a joke, decided to introduce wobbles and crazy drops into your standard dubstep songs. He's apologised for doing this because he didn't think people would take him seriously and that it would catch on.. That created a sub-genre which people called Brostep... And now you have idiots like Skrillex who have taken it yet again, a step too far.. I don't care if people like Skrillex, they can like who they want to like, it doesn't bother me, but for Skrillex to be put into the Dubstep genre is insulting...
If that is serious dubstep then I've been seriously misinformed about dubstep, I would more class that as easy-listening-techno to be quite honest. I don't really like that, it would be better to here someone like Akala spitting over it, or maybe Mic Righteous.
(01-19-2012, 05:15 AM)Fragma Wrote: But then how is it Dubstep? Because it has some wobble effects in it? Compare the Skrillex song in this thread to this song by Benga & Coki which was actually the song that started the whole Dubstep movement:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMR5K2QWfJk[/youtube]

They're nothing alike. If Skrillex is far from being Electro, then he's even farther from being Dubstep.

(01-19-2012, 05:04 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: I would agree to some point, but Skrillex is still an extreme version of dubstep, genre's DO evolve, they don't always stay the same. Look at how rock has progressed from the 50's. Now it's split into many categories of a similar genre. There's a few other good dubstep creators that I know of that most don't, but there's not a single specific style of dubstep that everyone has to abide by.
That can be said for all music though. The point I'm making is the way he structures his songs doesn't fit with the Dubstep "criteria".. So it's like it's evolved, and then became a genre of its own.. Check out the comparison above again.. There are no similarities what so ever, so how can both be called Dubstep?
It actually all started with a guy called Rusko who, for a joke, decided to introduce wobbles and crazy drops into your standard dubstep songs. He's apologised for doing this because he didn't think people would take him seriously and that it would catch on.. That created a sub-genre which people called Brostep... And now you have idiots like Skrillex who have taken it yet again, a step too far.. I don't care if people like Skrillex, they can like who they want to like, it doesn't bother me, but for Skrillex to be put into the Dubstep genre is insulting...

Of course they don't sound alike, but that doesn't mean one or the other can't be classified within the same genre. If you have ever heard beginning hardstyle music, I see the same trend here, "dumbed" down music which eventually acquired a more "full" taste. Not that the older stuff is always worse than the newer or more developed stuff, but music always evolves. If you want I can show you the same for Rock, Hardstyle, and even Industrial music. I've heard it all.

Take a deeper listen to the sounds in the background of that music, someone obviously played around with it a bit, and decided which sounds sounded best at their fullest frequencies, and it changed into what we now view as skrillex dubstep.

Personally I don't really see "criteria" for dubstep though, it's a creative genre. As with the same in hardstyle, you've got hard kicks, but the creativity if you've heard lots of hardstyle does change drastically.

Take Trance, and Psytrance as another example, Psytrance is still trance, but a more developed category on it's own. That's what this concept is here with skrillex and trying to classify him out of dubstep.

If it's just out of respect for the older people that you enjoy then I can understand, but music does evolve, and I would still personally consider skrillex dubstep. It's similar rythm and structure to the video you provided as an example, just utilizing a wider variety of sounds. But that's the way every music genre is, no sound is supposed to be the same, just the structure of the piece put together in the end Smile

From the video that i've posted above:

These guys are a dubstep style of their own as well taken from an old beginning uprising of the dubstep genre, people always take one idea and add onto it though, so if that's the case, and it's what skrillex did, then how can he not be dubstep?
(01-19-2012, 05:29 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: Of course they don't sound alike, but that doesn't mean one or the other can't be classified within the same genre. If you have ever heard beginning hardstyle music, I see the same trend here, "dumbed" down music which eventually acquired a more "full" taste. Not that the older stuff is always worse than the newer or more developed stuff, but music always evolves. If you want I can show you the same for Rock, Hardstyle, and even Industrial music. I've heard it all.

Take a deeper listen to the sounds in the background of that music, someone obviously played around with it a bit, and decided which sounds sounded best at their fullest frequencies, and it changed into what we now view as skrillex dubstep.

Personally I don't really see "criteria" for dubstep though, it's a creative genre. As with the same in hardstyle, you've got hard kicks, but the creativity if you've heard lots of hardstyle does change drastically.

Take Trance, and Psytrance as another example, Psytrance is still trance, but a more developed category on it's own. That's what this concept is here with skrillex and trying to classify him out of dubstep.

If it's just out of respect for the older people that you enjoy then I can understand, but music does evolve, and I would still personally consider skrillex dubstep. It's similar rythm and structure to the video you provided as an example, just utilizing a wider variety of sounds. But that's the way every music genre is, no sound is supposed to be the same, just the structure of the piece put together in the end Smile

From the video that i've posted above:

These guys are a dubstep style of their own as well taken from an old beginning uprising of the dubstep genre, people always take one idea and add onto it though, so if that's the case, and it's what Skrillex did, then how can he not be dubstep?

They don't follow the same musical trends.. You can't call both Dubstep just because they both have wobbles for example..
You wouldn't call drum and bass, heavy metal just because both have drums used would you?

Part of the criteria is in the name itself.. DUB - STEP. Dub being the main focus of the genre, and Step being that it's basically taking the elements of drum and bass into 2-step. But in order to really understand what it's about, you have to have listened to it when it really began.. I listened to garage, jungle, dub, drum and bass, etc.. before Dubstep had been "invented", so I could see how the music had progressed. Unless you've followed Dubstep like I have, then you probably won't ever understand it, but I can assure you, Skrillex is far from the music that I love.
(01-19-2012, 05:27 AM)BreShiE Wrote: If that is serious dubstep then I've been seriously misinformed about dubstep, I would more class that as easy-listening-techno to be quite honest.

That's a shame, especially considering you're from the UK.
That song was part of what sparked the Dubstep movement.
Benga described it as the first real Dubstep song to ever be produced.

Dubstep was originally meant to be easy listening music.. It wasn't until Rusko started joking around that it started to change.
I'm calling it the same because of it's structure, I mentioned that the sounds can be different though for a genre. Take a look, here's a prime example of music evolution Fragma...

[HardStyle]

Dana van Dreven (2004)
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksVVJrxuDLI[/yt]

(2012)
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1X9LqWrK4[/yt]

Fragma Wrote:Unless you've followed Dubstep like I have, then you probably won't ever understand it, but I can assure you, Skrillex is far from the music that I love.

That shouldn't be your reason for not classifying it as dubstep though. I make electro, and what he does is definitely not electro, I don't make house, but I do make trance, and even house and trance differ quite a lot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Benny Benassi - Cinema (Skrillex Remix) VeNoMz 24 3,086 09-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Last Post: .edit