Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SF Coders] Grabbing an Icon from a File and Saving! [TUT]
[Image: YzwzC.png]

In this tutorial I will show you how to open any file, extract the icon and save it!

First of all, Let's start with the GUI. We'll need the following:
-Menu Strip (Two button, Open and Save)
-Picturebox

Quite a basic GUI but you can add on to it with whatever you like!

[Image: ?h=5d2f189e1d2ad8b000d0d4a44ec14c7a]

On our Menustrip, double click the "Open" button to get automatically generated sub methods of the button when clicked.

Inside this Sub we will put our code to open an OpenFileDialogue and then use that dialogue to open the program!

Spoiler to see the whole code:
Once you have the OpenFileDialogue set we will make sure the Icon can be loaded into the Picturebox. So we will use a function I wrote to get the Icon and set it as an Image in the Picturebox.

Once again, A spoiler so it doesn't get ruined early:
We're almost there!! Yeye

Ok, Now to save the icon! This is almost the same as the OpenFileDialogue - If you've guess it, we're going to use a SaveFileDialogue for this one.

Try this step before you open the spoiler, It might intrigue you.
That's it! You've now made your own File Extracting program! Congradulations! Victoire

Here's the source if something has gone wrong. Omg Download it here. (VB.NET 2010)
Nice program milo, also you did it in quick time too!

I think the coding section on this forum is going to benifit having you here.

Well done, you will be set a new project some time next month.
Ouch, Next month. I've finished my High Schooling career and only work 3 days a week. I have about 4-5 months spare before University - Ht me up bro.
Nice application, it's great that we have a group that benefits the community, hope to see more releases from the SF Coders.

A+.
(11-20-2011, 05:39 AM)Ignite. Wrote: Nice application, it's great that we have a group that benefits the community, hope to see more releases from the SF Coders.

A+.

You sure will do, each month the members are assigned a project and they are to complete it within a week. If they do not complete by then they're put into the category of inactivity and kicked from the group.

Seems a bit harsh I know, but to keep a HQ group you have to do what you have to do. Big Grin
(11-21-2011, 07:15 AM)BreShiE Wrote: You sure will do, each month the members are assigned a project and they are to complete it within a week. If they do not complete by then they're put into the category of inactivity and kicked from the group.

Seems a bit harsh I know, but to keep a HQ group you have to do what you have to do. Big Grin

Been in a group just like that on HackForums, not sure if it was a week deadline though think it was a bit longer.
Nice tutorial and simple. Nice to see non-malicious code ;).
(11-21-2011, 07:18 AM)Ignite. Wrote: Been in a group just like that on HackForums, not sure if it was a week deadline though think it was a bit longer.

The projects I set are easily done in a day, nevermind a week, haha.
Thank you for this. This is what I've needed. Bookmarked for sure.
Very basic, but very clear, you have written well and its easily understandable, good work ... again Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [VB.NET] Advance Icon Changer BlackSpider 17 8,716 11-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Last Post: ƃu∀ ıʞƃu∀
  [TUT] How to make a simple WebBrowser in VB 2010! [TUT] - [ Pictures] Statics 95 55,618 10-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Last Post: a99
  SF Coders - Icon Changer - Project 1 Arron XR 14 3,871 09-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Last Post: malis2007
  Icon Websites? (Looking for Icons for Programs) AceInfinity 14 4,595 09-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Last Post: spesificrelax
  [SF Coders]Imageshack.Us Image Scraper ★Cooldude★ 7 2,760 08-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Last Post: ★Cooldude★