Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 8 Developer Preview Released [09.13.11]
Actually I would assume Microsoft won't see it as a fail because the average computer user doesn't really know a whole lot about how they work quite honestly. Of course they are going to look at Windows 8 and go "wow look at all the cool effects, this is much more advanced than Windows 7 i'm getting it!".

It's only the people that spend their time on a computer at least for a couple hours every day like myself and probably most people on this forum that can really understand that it's not that good. Sure they did good on the new visuals and design for touchscreen compatibility, and all this new "tile visual" for viewing applications without opening them. But who want's that? I sure as hell don't, I wan't a desktop, do you know how annoying that's going to be for a mouse click and drag just to have some fancy visual on their new OS? It's good, but I like speed, not visual crap that isn't needed, because it's unnecessary.
(09-13-2011, 07:06 PM)Ace Wrote: How do you know though? it wasn't even released at the time you posted this.

It's now officially released on their site though. You can download the developers preview in 32 or 64 bit.

I came across a site that had some previews before it was released. I only managed to see some sort of "home screen" though. The GUI of it seems like it's mostly for tablets. Now that the dev preview came out, I read some of it's new features. It looks like it's going to be great!
I think it's horrible, it's another addon to Windows 7 as far as i'm concerned, not even a full OS as I see it. Even with Windows 8 they give you the option to revert to Windows 7 mode because it's basically like a giant IPhone... It's like an Operating system for an Iphone. The keyboard changes to a "texting" layout for you if your using a tablet or something with it, and a popup on-screen keyboard exactly like an iTouch or an iPhone.

It's really silly. They completely disregarded desktops for Windows 8 from what I can see.
(09-14-2011, 08:23 AM)Ace Wrote: I think it's horrible, it's another addon to Windows 7 as far as i'm concerned, not even a full OS as I see it. Even with Windows 8 they give you the option to revert to Windows 7 mode because it's basically like a giant IPhone... It's like an Operating system for an Iphone. The keyboard changes to a "texting" layout for you if your using a tablet or something with it, and a popup on-screen keyboard exactly like an iTouch or an iPhone.

It's really silly. They completely disregarded desktops for Windows 8 from what I can see.

Ace, I feel the same way about it. They shouldn't even include something like that. In my opinion, they should of just focused more on improving the Windows 7 GUI and not make something totally different.
After 2 versions it seems they always try to do something new, and the first release is a half-assed version, while the second version that comes out is the real deal.

Windows 98/Windows 2k
Windows Vista/Windows 7
Windows 8/Windows 9??

Hmm, Windows XP seems to be on it's own for the first transition in decent visuals that stray away from a boxed control scheme.

In my opinion they should have stuck with the desktop module. No little netbook, or ipad is going to be as powerful as a desktop
(09-14-2011, 08:29 AM)Ace Wrote: After 2 versions it seems they always try to do something new, and the first release is a half-assed version, while the second version that comes out is the real deal.

Windows 98/Windows 2k
Windows Vista/Windows 7
Windows 8/Windows 9??

Lol! I guess Microsoft gets lazy when coming up with new ideas on the GUI.
I will say that the tiles view they have with Windows 8 looks nice, and it's a nice idea, but it just seems too bulky. For touchscreen it's good though.

I hate the way Microsoft has to treat people like we're idiots though, and that's exactly the way I picture this new OS. Everything is laid out in nice little tiles for you. It's like someone giving you multiplication cards even though you already know basic multiplication. How are you going to fit all the computer's data into tiles? lol If that's the way you want it your going to have to need a pretty big monitor to view all of it, otherwise you'll be going through items at around 4-6 items at a time. But if it's a fancy mosaic artpiece they want to show you in the end with this tile idea, then they succeeded.

I'm sure developers out there would be pissed if they had to work on a Windows 8 machine the way it is now. I hated it when I tested it out.

Everyone remembers how annoying UAC was when it first came out. For software developers it was like someone coming along and doing everything for you to make sure you didn't hurt the machine. Now Windows 8 is the new annoying UAC entirely, as a comparison.
Here's a few screenshots from my own Windows 8 test. I didn't have all of my files for desktop backgrounds or anything, so I added one quick. I tried finding paint in Windows 8 but apparently they don't have it anymore...(?) I have a hard time finding accessories, and the start menu is no longer a popup, so it's a good thing I know the {windows key} + R command to bring up Run.

Can't really say I'm all that impressed. Task manager seems a lot better though. The Aero theme looks good too. Don't really like the Start Menu button though. Thanks for taking the time to take these.
That start menu button doesn't even open the regular start menu as you know it. It opens that tiled view, almost like it's in another workspace. The desktop goes away and you're brought to a main page location, and from that area, there's a little tab or "tile" linking back to the desktop.

It would take some time getting used to, but I do like some of the visual, from what i've seen, the hardest part would be opening programs...

Unless you have them pinned onto your desktop taskbar, there's no way to get to them, unless you use the old {Windows Key} + E shortcut, OR you have Windows Explorer pinned to the taskbar (which it has by default). I liked the speed of the start menu search, which isn't available anymore. If you know the location or it's in the system32 folder or an environment variable you could always just type the name of the program in the RUN command though. I didn't find any "paint.exe" though. They must have cut that out of the OS as a default program completely. They should have kept it though. Maybe it's just because this is a developers preview build?

It's not bad though, I wouldn't mind having Windows 8 down the road, but i'm not going to be paying for it for a long time. I'll stick with my Windows 7 for now, and if the price goes down, then maybe, otherwise, Windows 9 it is, and i'm cashing it in on that OS so i'm not out of date when i'm still running 7.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 8 - Release Preview (Download) AceInfinity 8 3,736 05-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Miltan