Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What *Nix tutorial do you want to see?
So, I know lots of people really want to use Linux or some form of Unix, but have problems with it. So, for you guys that need help with something, what is a tutorial that you want to see for *Nix? I can make either a video or written tutorial, maybe even both. Just post suggestions, then I'll make a poll and do a random "Drawing" of them.
Go in-depth with pictures on how to extract, compile and make tarballs.
How to install gar files Tongue I dont get it/ Mad
(08-25-2011, 04:39 PM)Solidus Wrote: Go in-depth with pictures on how to extract, compile and make tarballs.

Good suggestion, I think I'll get to work on that tomorrow morning. Thanks!

(08-25-2011, 04:52 PM)ShellsRus Wrote: How to install gar files Tongue I dont get it/ Mad

gar? Do you mean what Solidus said about tarballs?
LFS Setup (getting it to a good desktop usage). Should take awhile. Also, maybe a tutorial on hardening a certain distribution?
(08-25-2011, 05:58 PM)#Nix Wrote: LFS Setup (getting it to a good desktop usage). Should take awhile. Also, maybe a tutorial on hardening a certain distribution?

Hmm...not sure about doing the LFS project, as the documentation on LFS already explains it in detail. What distribution? I like the latter one, can you give more details on your latter suggestion?
(08-25-2011, 04:39 PM)Solidus Wrote: Go in-depth with pictures on how to extract, compile and make tarballs.

I got started on this today, and made the horrible decision to chose Wine for my first example. Spent a while before I figured out you have to install loads of dependencies, and it's much easier just to do install with the distro's package manager, and that there is also a list of binaries on the site. In hindsight, I should have chosen something that I have never installed with a package manager before.

Roflmao

I'll start again Monday while my girl-friend is at school; I think I'll use Thunderbird as an example. Any suggestions?
how to turn ubuntu into a proxxy/vpn

how to patch wireless drivers

how to disable directory browsing when using apache (can do it in windows not linux, its not linuxes fault tho)
slowly getting better
I agree with Solidus you should do that!
(08-26-2011, 08:34 PM)Kotto*N[ix]mouth Wrote: I got started on this today, and made the horrible decision to chose Wine for my first example. Spent a while before I figured out you have to install loads of dependencies, and it's much easier just to do install with the distro's package manager, and that there is also a list of binaries on the site. In hindsight, I should have chosen something that I have never installed with a package manager before.

Roflmao

I'll start again Monday while my girl-friend is at school; I think I'll use Thunderbird as an example. Any suggestions?

Not every package manager comes with what you want, Pacman for example. A debian package isn't always available either (you'd even need to compile Gdebi to install these).
It's useful for those needing to compile beta's such as Gimp 2.7.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  *Nix Screen Shots Solidus 46 14,216 03-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Last Post: skullb0y