Support Forums

Full Version: What *Nix tutorial do you want to see?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I know lots of people really want to use Linux or some form of Unix, but have problems with it. So, for you guys that need help with something, what is a tutorial that you want to see for *Nix? I can make either a video or written tutorial, maybe even both. Just post suggestions, then I'll make a poll and do a random "Drawing" of them.
Go in-depth with pictures on how to extract, compile and make tarballs.
How to install gar files Tongue I dont get it/ Mad
(08-25-2011, 04:39 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Go in-depth with pictures on how to extract, compile and make tarballs.

Good suggestion, I think I'll get to work on that tomorrow morning. Thanks!

(08-25-2011, 04:52 PM)ShellsRus Wrote: [ -> ]How to install gar files Tongue I dont get it/ Mad

gar? Do you mean what Solidus said about tarballs?
LFS Setup (getting it to a good desktop usage). Should take awhile. Also, maybe a tutorial on hardening a certain distribution?
(08-25-2011, 05:58 PM)#Nix Wrote: [ -> ]LFS Setup (getting it to a good desktop usage). Should take awhile. Also, maybe a tutorial on hardening a certain distribution?

Hmm...not sure about doing the LFS project, as the documentation on LFS already explains it in detail. What distribution? I like the latter one, can you give more details on your latter suggestion?
(08-25-2011, 04:39 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Go in-depth with pictures on how to extract, compile and make tarballs.

I got started on this today, and made the horrible decision to chose Wine for my first example. Spent a while before I figured out you have to install loads of dependencies, and it's much easier just to do install with the distro's package manager, and that there is also a list of binaries on the site. In hindsight, I should have chosen something that I have never installed with a package manager before.

Roflmao

I'll start again Monday while my girl-friend is at school; I think I'll use Thunderbird as an example. Any suggestions?
how to turn ubuntu into a proxxy/vpn

how to patch wireless drivers

how to disable directory browsing when using apache (can do it in windows not linux, its not linuxes fault tho)
I agree with Solidus you should do that!
(08-26-2011, 08:34 PM)Kotto*N[ix]mouth Wrote: [ -> ]I got started on this today, and made the horrible decision to chose Wine for my first example. Spent a while before I figured out you have to install loads of dependencies, and it's much easier just to do install with the distro's package manager, and that there is also a list of binaries on the site. In hindsight, I should have chosen something that I have never installed with a package manager before.

Roflmao

I'll start again Monday while my girl-friend is at school; I think I'll use Thunderbird as an example. Any suggestions?

Not every package manager comes with what you want, Pacman for example. A debian package isn't always available either (you'd even need to compile Gdebi to install these).
It's useful for those needing to compile beta's such as Gimp 2.7.
Pages: 1 2