Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
-- Ace's FL Studio Tips [Updated Frequently] --
There's lots of good Free VST's out there, if you can't get a sound you want, start by finding a preset that you like, and modifying it to learn how each control changes the sound, then the more experience with that, the more you can lean away from presets and create your own sounds. Once you find "your sound" you generally know what to modify to achieve that sound and it just becomes a quick habit. Sytrus and 3xOSC are great free VST/generators. Try looking for and using presets for them to start, then you can focus on melody creation.
Yeah, I've used Sytrus and 3xOSC. Don't much care for 3xOSC to be honest... it can make some cool noises, but they all sound kinda dull to me (unless I'm usin' it wrong Tongue). I love Sytrus though, I use it all the time Big Grin

I've heard good things about Massive, I think I might give that one a whirl.
(07-28-2011, 07:34 PM)Terridax Wrote: Yeah, I've used Sytrus and 3xOSC. Don't much care for 3xOSC to be honest... it can make some cool noises, but they all sound kinda dull to me (unless I'm usin' it wrong Tongue). I love Sytrus though, I use it all the time Big Grin

I've heard good things about Massive, I think I might give that one a whirl.

Massive isn't free though.

I created this with nothing but 3xOSC for the lead:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2XV61pW2Vw[/yt]

You just have to mix it right, add some reverb or overdrive to make it sound out. Play it in sync with another 3xOSC generator playing a different synth sound.
(07-28-2011, 07:45 PM)Ace Wrote: Massive isn't free though.

I created this with nothing but 3xOSC for the lead:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2XV61pW2Vw[/yt]

You just have to mix it right, add some reverb or overdrive to make it sound out. Play it in sync with another 3xOSC generator playing a different synth sound.
Looks like I've got a lot to learn Tongue
I think the main problem I have when I'm producing music, is that I have a really hard time seeing things as a whole. I get too caught up working on a specific riff, or making a cool drum beat, and they all sound really good on their own, but then when I put it all together it just sounds horrible.

I've got the same problem when I'm drawing too. I just get too focused on the little things, and forget to look a the big picture.
(07-28-2011, 09:03 PM)Terridax Wrote: Looks like I've got a lot to learn Tongue
I think the main problem I have when I'm producing music, is that I have a really hard time seeing things as a whole. I get too caught up working on a specific riff, or making a cool drum beat, and they all sound really good on their own, but then when I put it all together it just sounds horrible.

I've got the same problem when I'm drawing too. I just get too focused on the little things, and forget to look a the big picture.

My advice with that, you're looking at it the wrong way.

If you try to think of a song in your head that you want to produce in full. You'll end up making it a mess because you can't focus on the individual parts that make up that song.

Focus on a melody, then build around it. With a melody, add a bass that sounds good, and change that bass that sounds good into it's own bassline with a particular beat that matches the tempo and rhythm of your lead. Then add in snares and a few cymbals here and there that make things blend in, and mix it up.

You can't have the lead playing the same thing over and over, so mix up the melody a bit for transitional stuff into different verses. Then you know the sounds you have match the lead sound, so you make them re-match the mixed up verse you created different from the original melody.

It's like lego, or tetris, you'll almost never know how the final piece will look, you just have to play it out. Unless you really have something thought up in your head.
Viva ableton live Smile for me fl studio is very limited like a composition software
(07-29-2011, 04:01 PM)Breakbot Wrote: Viva ableton live Smile for me fl studio is very limited like a composition software

there's nothing limited about it, people underestimate FL Studio to be a beginner's "make a beat" piece of software, but it can do just as much as Ableton from my experience with it. The live recording was nice, but you really don't need it if you know your stuff. I have a background in some music theory so i'm fine without that
Thanks for this tut, will help me out in the future Big Grin
Ace, have any tips to stop copyright issues when uploading to YouTube? Smile

Oh by the way, check your rep, I changed it from ♣ to ♠. Big Grin

EDIT: I ♥ Unicode. xD
Copyright issues with your own stuff? I haven't had any issue with that. It could be the samples you use if you use lyrics from another song or something. I'm not sure how they base that.

When you save/encode your project to a wav or mp3 though, the bmp gets saved, and also information that it was encoded by FL Studio. You can add all of your stuff into the file for the mp3, but I don't think that's visible if it goes into a video. I personally hate youtube copyright policy, it's crap.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to download YouTube videos [Updated] Epeolatry 16 3,458 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Agili Ron
  ~Passion~ First Song in FL Studio Jupiiter™ 5 962 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Evaluation
  Sign up to do a collaboration track with Ace! AceInfinity 17 4,140 11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Nexum
  How to make custom FL Studio templates! [Tutorial] TheCh♂senOne 6 4,425 11-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Nexum