Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a good hosting [Must Read]
Hello,

If you are reading this, you are probably looking for a new webhost, but don't know what to look for. Well in this brief tutorial, I am going to go over what you should look for, and why its needed for your MyBB forum.

Security
You don't want a webhost with bad security. A hacker hacks the webhost, and suddenly, he has all your files and databases... All he needs to make an exact clone of your forum, get your password, and even worst, get yours and your members emails and infect your computer.

Freedom and Easy of use
You don't want a webhost that doesn't give you the freedom... That only allows you to have a forum with less than 100 members. You also don't want a webhost that doesn't have a control panel that you can use to create emails, subdomains, databases, etc.

What is its age? I recommend not going with a webhost if it hasn't been online for over 6 months... Why? Because 90% of new webhosts will fail and they fail in the first 6 months. Kids think webhosting is a good way to make money so they try it and then close it down after 6 months. (FYI - It isn't a goodway to make money). Do a whois check on the hosts domain to see when it was registered.

Uptime
Yes, the important one, you need to have a good webhost with good uptime to ensure your forum users can access your forum without any problems. Make sure your webhost has an uptime guarantee and also a money back guarantee.

Don't go with the free ones
I cannot express this enough, never ever ever go with free webhosts. Here is why

They will add advertisments to your forum
They have a much higher risk of shutting down
They don't make any income therefore they must pay for their severs (Which cost $XXX - $XX each) themselves

Always go with a paid webhost.

Support
Does its technical support function 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year around including the holidays? You will be surprised at how often things go wrong at the most inconvenient of times. Incidentally, just because a host advertises that it has 24/7 support does not necessarily mean that it really has that kind of support. Test them out by emailing at midnight and on Saturday nights, Sunday mornings, etc. Check out how long they take to respond. Besides speed of responses, check to see if they are technically competent. You wouldn't want to sign up for a host that is run by a bunch of salesmen who only know how to sell and not fix problems.

Reviews
Simply go to google and type in the hosts name and reviews and read other peoples experience with them.

Enjoy Pirate
Nice post Smile

Big Grin Thank you.
(06-14-2011, 01:52 AM)-Dreams Wrote: Nice post Smile

Big Grin Thank you.

You are welcome bro Big Grin
Nice thread I guess, except this stuff is pretty obvious IMO. Also you mentioned security but didn't mention how to check is a host is secure.

The best suggestion here is definitely age. This is VERY important.

P.s. are you Cyber-Security from HF?
Good post, keep it up man! Smile
(06-16-2011, 10:14 PM)LiamLC Wrote: Nice thread I guess, except this stuff is pretty obvious IMO. Also you mentioned security but didn't mention how to check is a host is secure.

The best suggestion here is definitely age. This is VERY important.

P.s. are you Cyber-Security from HF?

Nope i am not

(06-17-2011, 01:58 AM)Daymolition Wrote: Good post, keep it up man! Smile
Thanx Bro
This is a good post, props to you Cyberscorpion. I currently use Hostgator. What is your professional opinion about them?
[Image: linksig.png]
AIM: Link0207 | MSN: Link0207@Link0207.com | YIM: Link0207
(06-19-2011, 10:51 AM)Link Wrote: This is a good post, props to you Cyberscorpion. I currently use Hostgator. What is your professional opinion about them?

LOL i am not too professional
But hostgator's hosting is G00D Big Grin
(06-10-2011, 06:47 AM)BannedPoop Wrote: Hello,

If you are reading this, you are probably looking for a new webhost, but don't know what to look for. Well in this brief tutorial, I am going to go over what you should look for, and why its needed for your MyBB forum.

Security
You don't want a webhost with bad security. A hacker hacks the webhost, and suddenly, he has all your files and databases... All he needs to make an exact clone of your forum, get your password, and even worst, get yours and your members emails and infect your computer.

Freedom and Easy of use
You don't want a webhost that doesn't give you the freedom... That only allows you to have a forum with less than 100 members. You also don't want a webhost that doesn't have a control panel that you can use to create emails, subdomains, databases, etc.

What is its age? I recommend not going with a webhost if it hasn't been online for over 6 months... Why? Because 90% of new webhosts will fail and they fail in the first 6 months. Kids think webhosting is a good way to make money so they try it and then close it down after 6 months. (FYI - It isn't a goodway to make money). Do a whois check on the hosts domain to see when it was registered.

Uptime
Yes, the important one, you need to have a good webhost with good uptime to ensure your forum users can access your forum without any problems. Make sure your webhost has an uptime guarantee and also a money back guarantee.

Don't go with the free ones
I cannot express this enough, never ever ever go with free webhosts. Here is why

They will add advertisments to your forum
They have a much higher risk of shutting down
They don't make any income therefore they must pay for their severs (Which cost $XXX - $XX each) themselves

Always go with a paid webhost.

Support
Does its technical support function 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year around including the holidays? You will be surprised at how often things go wrong at the most inconvenient of times. Incidentally, just because a host advertises that it has 24/7 support does not necessarily mean that it really has that kind of support. Test them out by emailing at midnight and on Saturday nights, Sunday mornings, etc. Check out how long they take to respond. Besides speed of responses, check to see if they are technically competent. You wouldn't want to sign up for a host that is run by a bunch of salesmen who only know how to sell and not fix problems.

Reviews
Simply go to google and type in the hosts name and reviews and read other peoples experience with them.

Enjoy Pirate

Thanks Grizzly,
Your post was very useful to chose my hosting service.
I followed your hosting selection tips and found a reliable provider TuckTail.com I never had nay problem with their services.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good provider for ecommerce hosting? Kdstack 4 410 01-31-2024, 01:01 AM
Last Post: Mirandas
  Any good Ecommerce Hosting? Kdstack 7 422 12-04-2023, 12:58 AM
  Requirements: 40 gigs of space. GOOD uptime hosting? Kdstack 4 378 09-08-2023, 01:37 AM
  Any good shared hosting for $5/mo? Adnorips 4 418 03-13-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Schamp
  Good provider for ecommerce hosting? Mirandas 5 437 02-10-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: Adnorips