Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing your Oil
I always change my own oil.
(10-19-2009, 04:47 PM)ProspectDotNet Wrote: Just to give everyone a heads up, if you take your vehicle to get serviced you may not be getting your moneys worth. Most places do a quick drain and fill. They probably don't let the oil pan more than 10 minutes before they cap it up and fill it. This can leave debris in your oil pan and can lead to unwanted wear to internal parts. Just a thought. When I change my oil I let it drain for a few hours. Just to get all of the junk out. Smile

Just something cool to let everyone know who changes there own oil, they sell magnetic drain plugs that collect all the debris. O have one on my Eclipse and last time I changed my oil you should of seen all the little metal debris it collected.
[Image: casper2fin3.png]

Will Trade Demonoid invite for torrentkids. PM mE
couldn't you just take your drain plug and put in on a powerful magnet say a hard drive magnet and megnatize the drain plugg i do tha with non magnetic screwdrivers just wondering
the other benefit of changing your oil is that you can choose your oil you can buuy the cheap 1.72 oil which is what most places fill it with ot you can buy the 5 dollar a bottle stuff and help your engine with wear protection and such here is some infor for people who dont know much about oil and such. i use the castrol high milage my cars have 100,000+ miles.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automoti...66801.html
[Image: SoulScore.jpg]
(10-20-2009, 02:28 AM)caspur Wrote: I always change my own oil.
Just something cool to let everyone know who changes there own oil, they sell magnetic drain plugs that collect all the debris. O have one on my Eclipse and last time I changed my oil you should of seen all the little metal debris it collected.

This is very nice to know. I might look into getting one of these.
[Image: arch2.png]
I guess i never really realized how many people didn't know how to change there own oil. Maybe i'll make a tut lol
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
when changing your oil a genaral rule of thumb is to change it approximately every three months as well as your oil filter but this can vary depending on how much distance is travlled. keep an eye on the colour & viscosity of your oil it will go from a honey brown to a dark to black colour over time this is caused by carbon build-up wich is a byproduct of all combustion engines.Now simply just putting any type of oil in your car can be dangerous you must be aware of the specific type of oil you must use. next time you look at a bottle of oil you will see a set of numbers similar to this 20/50 on the label this lets you know how thick the oil is so a 20/50 is a rather thick oil & should be used on most vehicle's made before 1980 older naturally aspirated engines.But if your oil has say for instance 10/30 on it that means that it is a thinner oil wich would be used on a more modern vehicle.Most modern engines use hydraulic lifters wich need a thin oil to work properly if you put a thick oil in a modern engine this can cause the lifters to fail & push your valves right through your pistons or cause a catasrtophic engine failure.So the lower the number the thinner the oil will be the higher the number the thicker it is.Also if you are driving a performance vehicle I would suggest a good quality synthetic oil as appossed to a crude oil crude oils have a tendency to sludge up this can be bad especially in turbo engines wich depend highly on oil quality.Now when you change your oil make sure your engine is warm because warm oil will run out of your sump more freely & if you notice clumps in your oil a good trick is to empty all the oil & then top your engine up with 70% automatic transmition oil & 30% normal engine oil then take the vehicle for a quick half hour drive the very thin oil mixture will help remove any sludge or gunked up deposites from your engine oil galleries & hydraulic lifters after you do this then carry-out your normal oil change as usual. I must say after my cold reception to this forum I don't really know why I have even bothered trying to contribute but if this helps atleast 1 person well I guess it was worth it I'm really not that bad of a person once you get to know me

B@nNeD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  changing serpentine belt dashahman 0 589 07-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Last Post: dashahman
  How to remove oil from your radiator! [Full tut] ktmrider530 9 13,330 02-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Last Post: ktmrider530
  Moped spits gas out of the oil and other places. Livewire 0 572 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Livewire
  [TUT] Changing Brake Pads daneasaur 10 2,113 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Яichie
  How to change your oil and filter. [Full Tut] ktmrider530 5 1,515 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Last Post: ktmrider530