Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing your Oil
How many change their own oil? I am still taking my cars into Jiffy Lube. I got a couple cool guys there that hook me up and always do a great job. I haven't tried to change my own oil yet but maybe I should so I can save the money.

Also how often do you guys change the oil? I do mine every 3000-4000 miles. Right now my Neon is due.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
3000-4000 is about right. I generally go with that or 3 months whichever comes first. I don't know how much they charge but I change my own oil for about $15. The shops usually charge a disposal fee too. But if you go to a local autozone they will let you go in the back and dispose it for free.
I do everything myself. I have built engines and installed them.
I have done conversions from 6 cylinder to V8 i have changed countless gearboxes.
Actually there is unlikely to be a car part i have not played with.
Not my trade as such but it was a big hobby of mine a few years ago.
The first engine i ever built was an Aussie 308 (V8). Loved it lol.
So i hope i can help in this area if needed.
As for changing the oil. Depends i guess on the quality of oil used. But i often do it before the 5000 - 10,000 kms.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

i change the oil in my truck because i can get under it i change it every 3000 miles its pretty easy and can do it in about and hour when in lazy lolz

but your really only saving 5 bucs or so pending where u get it changed but its easy in a hurry you can prolly do it in 15 min or so.

wherever you bought the oil will usually take the old stuff

heres a video if you are wondering how to do it its a little over cautious in my opinion.

http://www.ehow.com/video_11_change-motor-oil.html
[Image: SoulScore.jpg]
it sure is hard to beat that $20-$25 special a lot of places will charge to change your oil and oil filter by doing it yourself. JMO
That video tutorial is the best one I have seen. Thanks for posting it.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
3000-5000 or every three months, whichever comes first. That's what most manufacturers recommended.
[Image: arch2.png]
I take my truck to the dealership to get my oil changed.
Just to give everyone a heads up, if you take your vehicle to get serviced you may not be getting your moneys worth. Most places do a quick drain and fill. They probably don't let the oil pan more than 10 minutes before they cap it up and fill it. This can leave debris in your oil pan and can lead to unwanted wear to internal parts. Just a thought. When I change my oil I let it drain for a few hours. Just to get all of the junk out. Smile
[Image: arch2.png]
Yeah...that's sort of one reason I want to do it myself. I know they don't let it drain good enough.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  changing serpentine belt dashahman 0 578 07-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Last Post: dashahman
  How to remove oil from your radiator! [Full tut] ktmrider530 9 13,329 02-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Last Post: ktmrider530
  Moped spits gas out of the oil and other places. Livewire 0 568 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Livewire
  [TUT] Changing Brake Pads daneasaur 10 2,105 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Яichie
  How to change your oil and filter. [Full Tut] ktmrider530 5 1,503 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Last Post: ktmrider530