Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Think I have a RAT on my comp
I see. Because it has zero bytes. How silly of me. You need to fully uninstall McAfee. You may do that by following this guide.

BTW, would you mind if I ask you to get a new Anti-Virus? If you do not, you may pick from this list. Install this after uninstalling ESET.
  • Step 14

"An antivirus (or anti-virus) software is used to prevent, detect, and remove malware, including computer viruses, worms, and Trojan horses. Such programs may also prevent and remove adware, spyware, and other forms of malware."

I noticed that you do not have an anti-virus installed in your system presently. Do understand that you are making yourself defenseless against malware. Though it is plausible that caution can somehow prevent infection, it is still advisable to install an anti-virus. An anti-virus and a firewall are crucial to your system's security. Without both, reinfection is imminent after a clean. Here are lists of well-known and proven softwares.
  • Free Anti-Viruses
    • A-Squared Free
      • Emsisoft's A-Squared boasts two scanners: Anti-Spyware + Anti-Virus. It has topped the detection test performed by the Malware Research Group in June 2009. In addition, considerable performance improvement is possible thanks to the integration of the two engines on the lowest level.
    • Avast! Free
      • Avast! Free anti-virus is perfect for people who send e-mails and surf popular websites. It has a state of the art scanning engine provides reliable protection against viruses, spyware and other forms of malicious software.
    • Avira AntiVir - Personal Edition
      • Avira AntiVir protects your computer against dangerous viruses, worms, Trojans and costly dialers. It is known to have the highest detection presently and it is from a reputable company.
    • BitDefender Free Edition
      • BitDefender Free Edition uses the same ICSA Labs certified scanning engines found in other BitDefender products, allowing you to enjoy basic virus protection for no cost at all.
    • PC Tools AntiVirus Free
      • PC Tools AntiVirus Free provides basic protection against known viruses, worms and Trojans. You are protected against basic cyber threats attempting to gain access to your PC.
  • Paid Anti-Viruses
    • Avast! Pro Antivirus
      • Avast! Pro Antivirus is a full-featured antivirus software. Better than their free anti-virus, especially for web surfing, but without the firewall and anti-spam included in Avast! Internet Security. Also if you wish to customize your security, this is the recommended software.
    • Avira AntiVir Premium
      • Avira AntiVir Premium contains all the things its free version has plus real-time on-access scanning, profile-based on-demand scans and scheduling of full system scanning and updates, it offers premium protection.
    • ESET NOD32 Antivirus
      • ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 sports the fastest, most effective technology available to protect you from viruses and spyware without slowing you down while you work or play.
    • Kaspersky Anti-Virus
      • Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 – the backbone of your PC’s security system - offers protection from a range of IT threats and provides the basic tools needed to protect your PC.
From the list above, choose one, click on the name of the program that suites you best, download it and proceed to the installation. You can either choose the free version or purchase a full version. Regardless, having one is truly an aid to your computer's defense capability. If you are having a hard time choosing, consider looking at 'AV-Comparatives: Anti-Virus Comparative February 2010'. If you'd rather let me pick one for you, please allow me to do so by telling me your Internet usage, computer specifications such as your Operating System, Service Pack version and other relevant details.

Messages In This Thread
Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Brandenx781 - 03-31-2011, 09:10 PM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Aridity - 03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Endless™ - 04-01-2011, 06:22 AM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by r0yaL - 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Endless™ - 04-01-2011, 06:33 AM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Quintus - 04-01-2011, 08:28 AM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Quintus - 04-01-2011, 06:05 PM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Quintus - 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Quintus - 04-02-2011, 08:16 AM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Quintus - 04-03-2011, 02:54 AM
RE: Think I have a RAT on my comp - by Quintus - 04-03-2011, 10:15 AM