Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Photoshop Tutorial
Hello all Support Forums members. Okay so this is my first graphic tutorial on SF.
Made by Tuskarr

I will teach you from a beginner to at least in middle or more. Okay so I am going to start by writing who are and what are the basics. So the layer is like a file, the layer can be : Signature (If you marquee it), Render, Border, Avatar, Background, Brush, Text and effects. A render is a character which you put effects on, under and next to. Border is a line that surrounds the image. A brush is just a shape which you make effects with and shapes. But it can also be smudged and blurred. Effects are effects which come out of renders, brushes, texts. Well to be a good designer you will need to know how to duplicate a new layer and make a new layer fast. So, Duplicate Layer - ctrl+j and New layer ctrl+shift+n.

So let's start with making the text effects, first thing you want to know in Photoshop. So take the T (Horizontal Type Tool) and type something. After your done typing go on the "fx" at the bottom of the layer/s. Click it and go Blending Options. So ill explain all of the Blending Effects. First we got Drop shadow, makes a shadow around the text, render, image. It darkens the left top angle. The Outer Glow makes the down right angle yellow.(Depends on the color you choose.) Makes a glow around the text, render and stuff. And you also choose the color. The Bevel and Emboss make the bottom right angle black. Contour makes a powerful contour, but you can make it where to be. The Texture adds Pattern Elements. The Satin darkens the color. The color overlay gives a color red if there is nothing behind it, but if it has it will be the same color. The Gradient Overlay makes the text in two colors. But it doesn't mean it has to be in 2 colors, it also can be in more colors. The Pattern Overlay adds a pattern. Like a background in the text, it depends on which you choose. The stroke also adds a line which surrounds it. So after you read what they do, you mastered the text effects.

So the second you need to learn how to use the brushes. So to use the brushes you must use the right tool for that job, so use the Brush Tool, it's next to the spot healing tool. So you click the brush tool than you go to the arrow which is next to the brush, but this time it is at top, under the PS sign. And than you chose the pixels of the brush and also the shape. Well after you learn how to use it you must learn how to make one. So chose a brush and make a shape. Than right click on the layer, but where it has cubes, and you go to Select Pixels and than you go to Edit>Define Brush Preset. But did you know that you could add brushes? You will search on Google for a brush, than you download it, but put it in the photoshop, if it is in a folder you go again to the arrow that is next to the brush and go again to the arrow, but than go to Load Brushes. After you learn this you will master the brush.

After you learn all of this you must learn how to make a border. Okay now you chose an empty layer,(Doesn't have to be empty) and use the cube tool (Rectangular Marquee Tool) and use it around the image. After that click right click and go stroke and chose color and pixels. After you learn this you will learn how to make a border, it will be very useful though.

After you learn this you might have to learn what is an Avatar and how to make it. Avatar is usually a little image, 100x100 pixels which you put Letter/s on and maybe a small render. Learn this and you will be able to make one.

After you learn all of that it's time to learn how to make a signature. First you must find a render. To do that use Google or the best place for renders - Planet Renders. After you chose a render, you open it and and move it with the arrow tool (for moving thins) or use File>Place... After you place the render you will need a good background (Fitting with the render) so use the 1 shape, duplicate the render, but make 1 render invisible(click on the eye standing next to the layer), until the image is full with render and go to Finder>Blur>Motion Blur. Or you could use the gradient tool as a background (2 colors) or painting tool (1 color, and if you want to open it right click the gradient tool though). And those 2 tools are standing next to the eraser. After you do the background lets add some effects to the render. Okay so first duplicate the render 4 times so you could have 5 renders and make the first one invisible. On the 1 visible one go to filter>blur>radial blur and make it 100 pixels, zoom and quality : best. After that you are done with the 1 visible render, now let's do it on the second one. Click it and go to Filter>Disport>Ripple. After that choose the 3rd render and go to Filter>Blur>Motion Blur and choose the best angle and distance for your render. After that you click the fourth render and use the smudge tool to do that right click the blur tool standing next to the doge tool. After you smudge the render make the 1 invisible render on top and click again on his eye. After that you can use the brushes and smudge them until they got good and fit with the image. Well after that just add some text and some text effects and a border. After that you are done, but if you want your image to be in 2 or 3 colors go marquee all the layers (Right click the layers and marquee.) and go to Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Gradient Map and than click okay and than chose 1/2/3 colors which are best for your image.

Now after this you should animations. Now you make a latter and after that zoom in and make a new layer and use the brush, but small one and make a small shape on the latter and after that go to Window>Animation. After you do that click the cube next to the trash can (That duplicates the animation) and move your shape to somewhere else on the latter. After that choose the both animation layers and click on the three balloons. And chose the number five. After that you should test it with the arrow. And after that let's save it. Go to File>Save for Web & Devices. And now click on the two arrows to be slow. But click on the arrow the times, depends on how much animation layers you made and click it every 20 seconds. After you are done once, wait 1 minute and start over, after you are done go to save and okay.

After you learn all of this let's go for to be something more than a beginner. Okay so first add a layer and I suggest you make it with small pixels, 379x189 and add a gray background. Now after this you should really get a cool and good render. After that duplicate it once and make one of the renders invisible. (By clicking the eye) Now after this go ctrl+shift and U. (That makes the render black and white but choose the render layer!) After that go to blur>disport>polar disport and add more than 6 and 2. After that make your main render visible and put it on top. After that you should make the render little more visible. Now you choose the eraser and erase the render which has the shadow of it , the disported one. After that duplicate the render and go to blur>disport>polar disport and than add the Normal to Color dodge, that is in on top of the layers, after that make the fill lass than 90%, but drag it on the other side so it looks more cool. Now your at half. So now duplicate the main layer 1 time and use the Smudge Tool with Scattered Maple Leaves. After that smudge the render and make the other un-smudged one on top. After this it won't look like it has a lot of quality so go to layer>new adjustment layer>brightness and contrast after that use the contrast more than 20 and brightness more than 1, but make it between your un-smudged render. Now go to layer>new adjustment layer>gradient map and make it on top, but use color doge and fill 40% Now it will look cool. But it still needs more work so make a new layer and use the 1 brush on white color and make the lightning next to the render. Now to make it more cool, use the brush on black color and make the both angle black. After that go create a new layer and go to image>apply image and than go to filter>sharpen>sharpen, a bunch of times until it gets more quality. Now add a border and text and your done.

Outcome of all of the effects just without the animation:

[Image: im0mpw.png]
[Image: jjLIM2.png]

-I really hope my tutorial helped a lot of members!Pirate
Very nice TuT! I would just recommend formatting it a little more, as the text can be hard on the eyes when it is colorless and packed together like that.
Good guide for beginniners.

But as mentioned above, I suggest more structuring through your tutorial. Also some pictures explaining Photoshop's UI could be beneficial to those starting. I remember when I started the immense amount of buttons and key commands scared the crap out of me.

Just some advice Smile
I don't splel check.
Thanks guys. And Scalise I didn't add some images it's more explained with text.
(03-31-2011, 01:09 PM)Tuskarr Wrote: Thanks guys. And Scalise I didn't add some images it's more explained with text.

I know, but I'm suggesting that in addition to your text explanations, you should add a picture (screenshot of the photoshop UI) and enter little numbers next to the tools you reference in the tut, and then provide a separate key with what each thing you referenced was.
I don't splel check.
(03-31-2011, 01:12 PM)Scalise Wrote: I know, but I'm suggesting that in addition to your text explanations, you should add a picture (screenshot of the photoshop UI) and enter little numbers next to the tools you reference in the tut, and then provide a separate key with what each thing you referenced was.
Thanks dude, but I did this a while ago so I don't have again the images, but again thanks for the nice suggestion!
Very nice tutorial mate but I prefer more tutorials with some pictures and examples so people will learn easier anyways good job Smile
Thanks panda, your post means a lot to me.
It would definitely be better if it was well formatted & had images.
I haven't read it for that very reason. It looks like a lot to take in.
Good tutorial! I agree with panDa tho, more pics would be nice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photoshop - Animated Text Shine Tutorial courage 28 8,953 01-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Diabolic
  Photoshop - Vintage Look Tutorial Fragma 6 1,418 07-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Last Post: GoldHacker93
  [Tutorial] Photoshop Movie Effect Snow. 12 2,963 10-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Last Post: angel.carry
  Photoshop Tutorial - How to Trace Using the Pen Tool Peter L 2 1,006 01-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Last Post: .Legacy.
  [GIMP/Photoshop] Metallic Text Tutorial Arcane.cfg 4 1,253 07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Cyber-Security