Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photoshop - Vintage Look Tutorial
In this tutorial I'll be guiding you through giving your images a nice vintage look and feel.
I'll be using a nice beach image I found, however this can often work well with just about any image at all.

[Image: A4ZUi.png]

Open your image up in Photoshop, and the first thing you want to do is duplicate it, so that you have a backup copy.
To do this, you can either right click your layer, and select "Duplicate Layer", or simply drag the layer ontop of the New Layer icon.

You can hide the bottom layer for now, as you won't really be needing it at all. (I just like having it incase any further adjustments need to be made).

So the first thing we'll be doing is adding a nice vignette. You can do this manually via the radial gradient tool, however the best method is by using Lens

Correction.
Go to Filter > Lens Correction.
In the window that pops up, go onto the Custom tab, and under Vignette, set the amount to -50.

[Image: BjeD.png]

You should have something like this:

[Image: 9i5yt.png]

Now we need some adjustment layers. Go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Curves.
Double click the curve icon on the newly created layer, and you'll be able to tweak the values.
Here are the following values that I tend to go with:

[Image: m9OYx.png][Image: T4q9.png][Image: CNLWz.png]

Now you can leave it at that so long as you're happy with the results, or you can do a couple of extra things.
This is what I have at the moment:

[Image: MtqAI.png]

Although it looks decent, I think it could be tweaked some more, so I'm going to take advantage of the backup background layer I made at the start. I'm going to set

the opacity down on the Vignette layer so that it isn't quite as intense. The backup layer will effectivly mean that you can simply adjust the opacity of the vignette

alone, without the whole image turning transparent.
Anyway, I set the opacity to 50%.

I'm also going to add a Gradient Map adjustment layer. Go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Gradient Map.
For the gradient, I went for a dark brown to a light creamy colour.

[Image: BjMgK.png]

I then turned the opacity of the GM down to 50%, and set the blending mode to Overlay. Make sure that all of your layers are below the Curves layer we created.
Here's the final outcome. As you can see the transformation looks pretty nice.

[Image: BSWEx.png]
Nice. I look how you went light on the grains.
Very good tutorial, It explains it thoroughly.
I always wanted to know how people did that. Very nice tutorial.
Online tutorial is one of the best source for you to gain something advanced about Adobe Photoshop tools and features. Photoshop provides you the complete solution about image editing and logo designing.
After how many years, the picture links have broken. Sad
This tutorial helped my brother because he works on photoshop Thank You

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photoshop - Animated Text Shine Tutorial courage 28 8,785 01-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Diabolic
  [Tutorial] Photoshop Movie Effect Snow. 12 2,901 10-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Last Post: angel.carry
  Photoshop Tutorial - How to Trace Using the Pen Tool Peter L 2 985 01-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Last Post: .Legacy.
  [GIMP/Photoshop] Metallic Text Tutorial Arcane.cfg 4 1,234 07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Cyber-Security
  How to Make Text Reflection (Adobe Photoshop CS5) Tutorial courage 12 6,336 06-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Last Post: courage