Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that are lacking in the English language.
Eve Wrote:I don't use colloquial English. And I am just particular when it comes to feelings and words to describe them. For example, what word would you use to describe the euphoria of new love? There is no word, only ways with already present words. And "butterflies" is not enough, lol.

Ah, I understand what you mean. Maybe it's just my limited knowledge in Swedish, but Swedish probably has even less words to express emotion. I don't even think "ecstasy" would encompass the feeling you described.
(04-06-2010, 02:25 PM)Eve Wrote: I don't use colloquial English.
Every native English speaker uses some form of colloquial English, you can't help but do since it was all around you when you grew up, it just becomes your 'normal'.

As an example, I come from the Midlands of England, and when I moved down south last year I referred to something I was eating as a Cob. Now to me, this is a perfectly valid name for what I was eating, it's what I've always called it and what everyone else around me has always called it; however these people had no idea what I meant... it was really quite confusing for me since I couldn't actually think of another word to describe it at the time.

I just checked Wikipedia, they actually have a whole article on Cobs due to the English having a load of colloquial words for them Smile
Quote:A bread roll is a piece of bread, usually small and round and is commonly considered a side dish. Bread rolls are often used in the same way as sandwiches are—cut transversely, with fillings placed between the two halves.

There are many names for bread rolls, especially in local dialects of British English.

Cob, a bread roll of any kind in the West Midlands and East Midlands. The name originates from the resemblance to the shape and size of a cobblestone. In these areas the term "bread roll" often refers exclusively to a longer, hot-dog style roll.

While I was trying to explain this to someone, they suggested a 'bread roll', but to me that was wrong since as the article says, to me that means a longer roll not a Cob.
[Image: sig.php]
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.
(04-06-2010, 03:21 PM)MrD. Wrote: Every native English speaker uses some form of colloquial English, you can't help but do since it was all around you when you grew up, it just becomes your 'normal'.

I am extremely particular about using the correct word unless the colloquial word describes a cultural product. Some types of food or ingredients are particular to a culture and cannot be described any other way. Witlof and endives are the same salad leaf so I choose to use either depending on whom I am speaking too.

I agree that colloquial words add to the English language and words for food are a great example of it. It is true that words for emotional sensations are probably assimilated in a similar way in localised cultures as well.
I speak Assyrian fluently and know a good solid amount of German. Both languages are gender-specific, which makes conversation a lot more... efficient, if you will.
[Image: csx47jm4kbi80w88ajnf.png]
Yeah I agree with you,
it would actually be useful .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm making my own language! King 26 3,389 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Last Post: KingQuarter
  Not Being Able To Click Things In My Container (HTML/CSS) BreShiE 0 515 02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Last Post: BreShiE
  Starting A New Language | LOLCODE BreShiE 2 834 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Last Post: BreShiE
  [English] Homework Help Pleassse [Finals] Buzz Lightyear 0 540 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Buzz Lightyear
  Things you do for fun? Psychosis 25 4,838 04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Last Post: spark™