Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I suddenly don't have a CD drive...
I wouldn't trust myself to do it; I'm way too clumsy and I'm afraid I'd break something Sad Hmm are there tuts here for that anyways? I may read a few just so I know what Viral's doing should he do it. Even $30-60 may not be an option at the moment while we take care of other things that need our money xP
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment, remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Proudly collared by Viral Dragon

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
(03-19-2011, 10:22 AM)iceybunneh Wrote: I wouldn't trust myself to do it; I'm way too clumsy and I'm afraid I'd break something Sad Hmm are there tuts here for that anyways? I may read a few just so I know what Viral's doing should he do it. Even $30-60 may not be an option at the moment while we take care of other things that need our money xP

Well yea I don't know any at the moment but, you should be able to find some via google. Its not that hard to do with a good tutorial. ;) good luck
Thanks. I guess I'll have it looked at to see if it's a hardware problem. I don't see how it could have just come unplugged though, I wasn't like...throwing it around or anything :/

Thanks for the help! Additional advice is still appreciated <3
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment, remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
It's most likely a hardware failure. There's always the possibility that the cable came unplugged but I highly doubt it. You'll probably need to open up your laptop and replace your DVD drive. This happened to me about a year ago and my drive ended up being dead. Before you replace it, try using a different SATA cable and try using a different SATA slot.

Do you have a warranty for this laptop from HP?
I wouldn't send it in to get it fixed right away though from a warranty, the first thing to do is to check to see if the cables for the drive are still connected. Check your device manager under DVD/CD Rom Drives to see if it appears.

If you don't have a drive letter for that drive for some reason you could add one by going into the Drive manager and choosing the next available letter or assign it a different drive letter.

Will the Drive appear in your My Computer area? Does it recognize any data in the drive when you put in a CD/DVD?

Do the following only if you see a yellow exclamation mark beside the CD/DVD drive in device manager. Usually that means it's a registry problem. You should post a few screenshots of your device manager so that I can see if you have anything in there or not.

1. Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
2. Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
(Note: Find {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and Export a backup of that key.)
3. Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
5. Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
6. In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
7. Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
8. Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

Reboot your computer and it should reconfigure that key. See if that helps. Changing the dirve letter will ensure that collisions don't occur when something else needs a drive letter. But if it's not showing up in Device manager at all, then it would be a hardware failure, or a connection issue.

If you do happen to see it in Device Manager though you can try re-installing the driver:

1) In device manager right click on the CD/DVD device/drive and uninstall it
2). Safely remove any USB drives or other removable hardware that you have plugged into your computer tower
3). Plugin the external HDD (and wait for it to reinstall the drivers)
4). Wait for it to finish installing, you may have to reboot
Also, make sure you only open your laptop after you're certain you don't have a warranty. Opening it will most likely void your warranty if you have one.
(03-19-2011, 05:08 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: Also, make sure you only open your laptop after you're certain you don't have a warranty. Opening it will most likely void your warranty if you have one.

That's because some of them put a seal over top of where you have to open your computer to get into it Smile If there was a way to get around that it wouldn't matter, but even then I wouldn't suggest attempting it either if you still have a warranty
You should get support from a local electronic store. (Best Buy, etc...) Maybe your CD drive is damaged in some sort. When you go to 'computer', it doesn't have anything about CD Drive in it?
Active
No, the Computer doesn't list a CD/DVD drive at all. Also ,I don't have a warranty on this laptop because I bought it secondhand.

@Infinity woww that's a lot of information to process o.o Lemme go back and look through that...

Also I didn't mention this before but the CD drive will still open sometimes. It's a little iffy but it opens, it lights up and it makes a noise like it's trying to read a disk when I popped one in to test it. But nothing showed up on the computer.

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
(03-20-2011, 12:55 PM)iceybunneh Wrote: No, the Computer doesn't list a CD/DVD drive at all. Also ,I don't have a warranty on this laptop because I bought it secondhand.

@Infinity woww that's a lot of information to process o.o Lemme go back and look through that...

Also I didn't mention this before but the CD drive will still open sometimes. It's a little iffy but it opens, it lights up and it makes a noise like it's trying to read a disk when I popped one in to test it. But nothing showed up on the computer.

So it isn't completely broken then...
Maybe you have a disconnected/broken SATA cable? I think if you had power going into your CD/DVD drive but no SATA cable attached then it would still open/close and try to read things, but not 100% sure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen suddenly not working Cassie1234 3 1,043 12-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Last Post: JenniferRodriquez
  Need help with my CD/DVD Drive FaDeD-NiNjA 4 985 08-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Last Post: FaDeD-NiNjA