Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I suddenly don't have a CD drive...
Physically, my CD drive is still in my computer. But now my computer doesn't read that it exists. All it says I have is my C and D drives. Does anyone know why this would happen? I carried my laptop in a bag from my house to college and stuff but I've tried to be as careful and not slam it when I put it down or anything. Is it possible that I've physically damaged my machine? And how do I fix it? :/

Also, it's an HP Pavilion dv2500 running Windows 7 x64.
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment, remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Proudly collared by Viral Dragon

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
Check the device manager if it is showing there.
[Image: imtBbq.png]
Is it under Disk Drives? I don't see it. In fact, I don't see anything about a CD/DVD Drive anywhere under Device Manager :/
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment, remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
(03-19-2011, 08:42 AM)iceybunneh Wrote: Is it under Disk Drives?

It should be under the DVD/CD-ROM drives. But since you say there's nothing related, maybe you should go for a scan for hardware changes and see if that helps. It is in the device manager menu under' Actions' btw.
[Image: imtBbq.png]
Scanned for changes and nothing new popped up. I even hit "show hidden devices" and it's still not there. This was the computer I used to burn DVDs with though. How does a device just suddenly disappear?

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
Have you done any resent restores or do you think your infected by any chance, this could just be a driver problem I think. If your computer has been totally normal, than maybe it came unplugged on the inside. If so i recommended taking it to a professional.
Never done a system restore. And my computer is clean. Even with everything I download on it, I've run regular scans and the most I've gotten are tracking cookies. If it came unplugged, that's just a hardware problem right? Would professional be like Geek Squad or would a computer repair shop be better? (heard some bad stories about Geek Squad)

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
(03-19-2011, 09:58 AM)iceybunneh Wrote: Never done a system restore. And my computer is clean. Even with everything I download on it, I've run regular scans and the most I've gotten are tracking cookies. If it came unplugged, that's just a hardware problem right? Would professional be like Geek Squad or would a computer repair shop be better? (heard some bad stories about Geek Squad)
Well for cheapness go with a local computer store, but for skill go with geek squad. I know they have some bad reports, but everybody does and yes that is just a hardware problem.
Uh oh, how cheap is "cheap"? tight on money ;__; I know Viral offered to take my laptop apart for me but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with seeing him take it apart to fix the problem. The whole "omg that laptop is my baby" kind of thing .__.'

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
(03-19-2011, 10:04 AM)iceybunneh Wrote: Uh oh, how cheap is "cheap"? tight on money ;__; I know Viral offered to take my laptop apart for me but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with seeing him take it apart to fix the problem. The whole "omg that laptop is my baby" kind of thing .__.'
Cheap is about 30-60 usd. You can also get help here on how to take apart your laptop yourself if you want.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen suddenly not working Cassie1234 3 1,043 12-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Last Post: JenniferRodriquez
  Need help with my CD/DVD Drive FaDeD-NiNjA 4 985 08-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Last Post: FaDeD-NiNjA