Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character - Test
(04-02-2011, 10:37 AM)Fragma Wrote: He's slow because he's lanky. His movement's will be slow and lazy.
I'll look for a clip which I was influenced by and you'll see what I mean.

It seems the opposite way around for me... But i'll wait to see the clip. I've never even played a game or seen a movie where the lanky characters ever moved slow before.
I agree with Infinity. I also think his body looks out of proportion. It just looks awkward.

Good luck, though. I'm sure itll look nice in the end.
(04-02-2011, 10:40 AM)Laugh Wrote: I agree with Infinity. I also think his body looks out of proportion. It just looks awkward.

Good luck, though. I'm sure itll look nice in the end.

The body is in proportion Tongue What part looks awkward? Remember I haven't weighted some of the bones so there are parts which are kind of deformed.
Like in Update 2, his legs looks too long.
(04-02-2011, 10:45 AM)Laugh Wrote: Like in Update 2, his legs looks too long.

They have to be long as part of my college module brief.

Here is the kind of movement I'll be giving my character: (The characters at 00:39)

(04-02-2011, 10:55 AM)Fragma Wrote: They have to be long as part of my college module brief.

Here is the kind of movement I'll be giving my character: (The characters at 00:39)

You can't judge how fast the character is when they aren't moving though. That's only arm movements, but look at how short the legs are. I don't think they resemble your character. To have them move fast even if they could though would damage the feel of the clip. It's meant to be a fantasy/magical piece from what it looks like, and slower movements and camera angles help that feeling develop.
Well I really like the shine of the metallic cloth he has one. It has really nice quality to it.
(04-02-2011, 11:04 AM)Infinity Wrote: You can't judge how fast the character is when they aren't moving though. That's only arm movements, but look at how short the legs are. I don't think they resemble your character. To have them move fast even if they could though would damage the feel of the clip. It's meant to be a fantasy/magical piece from what it looks like, and slower movements and camera angles help that feeling develop.

My character won't be moving around much. What I meant was the whole body movements will be slow. My animation will be a similar style to that one, so slower movements and camera angles will work just as well with my animation. Trust me if I had him moving around really fast, it would look absolutely rubbish.
(04-02-2011, 12:41 PM)Fragma Wrote: My character won't be moving around much. What I meant was the whole body movements will be slow. My animation will be a similar style to that one, so slower movements and camera angles will work just as well with my animation. Trust me if I had him moving around really fast, it would look absolutely rubbish.

I wouldn't think so, but I think it probably depends on the way his movements are coordinated. All characters move differently. For example, making him lift his leg up high, as opposed to more of a 'skate' walk where he keeps his feet lower to the ground. With the vision I have in my head for his faster paced movements I think it fits perfectly. My idea is based from my imagination though where yours is more from a clip.

I think you should try to visualize your own way of making him move though to get things more unique, whether you make him move slow or fast, I would recommend changing things up a bit from the clip you posted.
(04-02-2011, 02:53 PM)Infinity Wrote: I wouldn't think so, but I think it probably depends on the way his movements are coordinated. All characters move differently. For example, making him lift his leg up high, as opposed to more of a 'skate' walk where he keeps his feet lower to the ground. With the vision I have in my head for his faster paced movements I think it fits perfectly. My idea is based from my imagination though where yours is more from a clip.

I think you should try to visualize your own way of making him move though to get things more unique, whether you make him move slow or fast, I would recommend changing things up a bit from the clip you posted.

I don't want his leg to lift up high though that's totally not the image I'm going for. This may be a bad explanation but here goes... Imagine somebody from a different planet visiting Earth for the first time. They would be cautious & curious. They wouldn't make quick sudden movements, they would move slowly. That's the kind of thing I'm wanting to do. Although now you probably have in your head that he's an alien but that's not the case lol.. He is a balaclava also. Balaclava's are seen as your stereotypical burglars head wear. Burglars would creep around slowly, not run around like crazy. Again I'm probably not explaining this very well... I want the whole feel of the animation to be slow, mysterious, slightly trippy, but still elegant.
The character will be in darkness. There will be nothing around him, no scenery etc.. All he will have to interact with is the floor, that's not my decision, that's what my module briefing said, although I think it will be interesting to work with no scenery, or back drops.

The clip I posted was a very rough example. The only real similarities will perhaps be in the way the arms move. I will mimic that movement for my characters arms and legs. Although, he won't actually be walking around much. Most of his time will be spent standing, looking around, and interacting with the floor. The majority of movement will be through the arms, waist, head & eyes.

If I had him moving fast, there would have to be some reason to why he's moving fast. And when you don't have any scenery or props to work with, it gets quite tricky to come up with a storyline, particularly for faster animations.

I suppose you'll just have to wait until I finish it to see what I really mean. I promise you though, making him a fast mover will not look as good as what I have pictured in my head.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Character Design Fragma 19 1,692 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Represent
  Character Preview Fragma 25 3,207 05-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Raνe
  First Character Trial AceInfinity 25 4,014 03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Character Fragma 14 1,984 03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Lunchbox
  Another Vector Character... Fragma 19 4,330 10-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Fragma