Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Gaming?
(10-16-2009, 08:42 PM)InsideSin Wrote: I would switch to Windows 7 but is there a way that I can just migrate all my stuff from Vista to W7? I don't want to have to re-install all my stuff. I only have a dual core with 3GB of RAM too... is that good enough to run Win7 decently and be worth it to switch?

3GB of RAM is PLENTY. My friend is currently running it smoothly with only 1.

And yes, on Vista you can simply "upgrade" instead of doing a custom install. All of your programs and files will remain in tact. However, I suggest doing a clean install as it is recommended. I don't know why it is, but it just seems more "healthy". Big Grin
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

(10-16-2009, 08:45 PM)MreGSX Wrote: 3GB of RAM is PLENTY. My friend is currently running it smoothly with only 1.

And yes, on Vista you can simply "upgrade" instead of doing a custom install. All of your programs and files will remain in tact. However, I suggest doing a clean install as it is recommended. I don't know why it is, but it just seems more "healthy". Big Grin

What are you running? Home Prem, Business, or Ultimate? Personally I think I'd just go with Premium because the only reason I'd go with Business is because of the XP Virtual PC but that's just like VM anyways.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to wait until the retail copy of Win7 comes out to do that upgrade? I thought that that CD will wipe everything out though, does it give you an option of keeping your files intact?

EDIT: also I've heard about some compatibility problems. The game that I have in mind is designed for XP but it ran ok on Vista. I'm hoping it will work and run a lot faster on 7 though.
(10-16-2009, 08:57 PM)InsideSin Wrote: What are you running? Home Prem, Business, or Ultimate? Personally I think I'd just go with Premium because the only reason I'd go with Business is because of the XP Virtual PC but that's just like VM anyways.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to wait until the retail copy of Win7 comes out to do that upgrade? I thought that that CD will wipe everything out though, does it give you an option of keeping your files intact?

I'm currently running the retail version of Ultimate, suits my just fine. XP mode is fun to play around with, but I haven't found it useful to me personally. There aren't many compatibility issues. In fact the only one I can really think of is with firewalls. There isn't a wide selection of working firewalls with Windows 7 yet, not much a problem though since the Windows Firewall has improved greatly.

When you're installing Windows 7 it gives you two options:

1. Custom Install (Wipes your disc)

2. Upgrade (leaves files and programs in tact)

Microsoft kept it pretty simple this time. It only took me 20 minutes from when I ran the setup to when I was using Windows 7.

(10-16-2009, 09:03 PM)MreGSX Wrote: I'm currently running the retail version of Ultimate, suits my just fine. XP mode is fun to play around with, but I haven't found it useful to me personally. There aren't many compatibility issues. In fact the only one I can really think of is with firewalls. There isn't a wide selection of working firewalls with Windows 7 yet, not much a problem though since the Windows Firewall has improved greatly.

When you're installing Windows 7 it gives you two options:

1. Custom Install (Wipes your disc)

2. Upgrade (leaves files and programs in tact)

Microsoft kept it pretty simple this time. It only took me 20 minutes from when I ran the setup to when I was using Windows 7.

How's you get the retail version of Ultimate? Also do you need better specs to run it? My anti-virus probably won't work on it, actually I hope it won't so I can give reason to my parents to freaking let me switch.
(10-16-2009, 09:04 PM)InsideSin Wrote: How's you get the retail version of Ultimate? Also do you need better specs to run it? My anti-virus probably won't work on it, actually I hope it won't so I can give reason to my parents to freaking let me switch.

The retail version of Windows 7 has been available to MSDN subscribers for a while now. I'm currently on a laptop with 4GB of RAM and a 2.6ghz dual core processor and it runs fine, as it should. You'll be perfectly fine with 1-2GB of RAM and a decent processor.

I haven't seen an anti-virus that isn't compatible, just firewalls. What AV are you using?

(10-16-2009, 09:07 PM)MreGSX Wrote: The retail version of Windows 7 has been available to MSDN subscribers for a while now. I'm currently on a laptop with 4GB of RAM and a 2.6ghz dual core processor and it runs fine, as it should. You'll be perfectly fine with 1-2GB of RAM and a decent processor.

I haven't seen an anti-virus that isn't compatible, just firewalls. What AV are you using?

You probably haven't heard of it, it's call Telus security services. Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Firewall, "Anti-fraud" (I lol'd at this one), Pop-up blocker. Basically an all-in-one package for noobs (like my parents). Telus is a Canadian ISP, Telephone, TV, and Mobility provider.

You've been really helpful I'll write you down on a list to give rep once I hit 100 posts. I am trying not to spam to get there unlike some other members who get that within the first day they join.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux Based Gaming Rig? Tank 15 2,951 04-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Gone