Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread bumping
I see no rules regarding bumping, but what is the staff's standpoint on it? It's really annoying when someones asked for help 2 months ago and someone spamming to get the support feather bumps it up. I understand if it's a discussion topic, but usually it isn't.

Just report and move on?
If you think somebody is spamming, then yes report the member.
(12-24-2010, 12:47 PM)Fragma Wrote: If you think somebody is spamming, then yes report the member.

Well, I know that..but sometimes bumping and spamming are connected.....but other times they are not.

I'm asking about bumping old, no value threads by themselves, even if it isn't spam.
I wouldn't usually report them for that.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how old the thread is, if it proves useful to a member, and they leave a comment showing there appreciation, then its all good.
(12-24-2010, 01:00 PM)Fragma Wrote: I wouldn't usually report them for that.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how old the thread is, if it proves useful to a member, and they leave a comment showing there appreciation, then its all good.

Alright thanks, gonna wait for a second opinion as well. Thumbsup
What you reported may not appear to be spam, but they actually were. It was a bot. They're everywhere and are able to pull info from a thread to make an intelligent reply. You can usually spot these by looking at the signature which is typically a link to a site selling something.

About bumping. For me, it's fine. At the stage SF is currently at, every post counts. Bumping a thread encourages more discussion and I even do it on purpose at my own site.
Report it if it's low quality though.
(12-24-2010, 02:06 PM)Solidus Wrote: What you reported may not appear to be spam, but they actually were. It was a bot. They're everywhere and are able to pull info from a thread to make an intelligent reply. You can usually spot these by looking at the signature which is typically a link to a site selling something.

About bumping. For me, it's fine. At the stage SF is currently at, every post counts. Bumping a thread encourages more discussion and I even do it on purpose at my own site.
Report it if it's low quality though.

I knew it haha. I was a little confused when someone asked about if they should eat more and it said some crap about a healthy lifestyle that made no sense.

In the early stages of a forum bumping isn't really cracked down on. That's mainly because we're focused on getting posts and content. But on a site as big as HF we don't need nor want LQP like that. I'd say bumping is fine on SF for the time being.
(12-25-2010, 05:05 AM)Inuyasha Wrote: In the early stages of a forum bumping isn't really cracked down on. That's mainly because we're focused on getting posts and content. But on a site as big as HF we don't need nor want LQP like that. I'd say bumping is fine on SF for the time being.

Yeah, I get that. But say for example someone says "do I look skinny" over 3 months ago. Then today, in December (when it was posted in September), someone comments saying "i think u look fine." That is pointless because the member no longer visits or got answers.

But if it's a discussion topic about your favorite soda it is fine. imo.
If the reply is not substantial in content report it.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Life Support] Bumping Old Thread? Metapod 2 715 04-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Metapod
  About bumping/gravedigging? Peter L 11 2,309 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity