Support Forums
Thread bumping - Printable Version

+- Support Forums (https://www.supportforums.net)
+-- Forum: Support Forum Information (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Site News and Feedback (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Thread bumping (/showthread.php?tid=15046)

Thread bumping - Peter L - 12-24-2010

I see no rules regarding bumping, but what is the staff's standpoint on it? It's really annoying when someones asked for help 2 months ago and someone spamming to get the support feather bumps it up. I understand if it's a discussion topic, but usually it isn't.

Just report and move on?

RE: Thread bumnping - Fragma - 12-24-2010

If you think somebody is spamming, then yes report the member.

RE: Thread bumnping - Peter L - 12-24-2010

(12-24-2010, 12:47 PM)Fragma Wrote: If you think somebody is spamming, then yes report the member.

Well, I know that..but sometimes bumping and spamming are connected.....but other times they are not.

I'm asking about bumping old, no value threads by themselves, even if it isn't spam.

RE: Thread bumnping - Fragma - 12-24-2010

I wouldn't usually report them for that.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how old the thread is, if it proves useful to a member, and they leave a comment showing there appreciation, then its all good.

(12-24-2010, 01:00 PM)Fragma Wrote: I wouldn't usually report them for that.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how old the thread is, if it proves useful to a member, and they leave a comment showing there appreciation, then its all good.

Alright thanks, gonna wait for a second opinion as well. Thumbsup

RE: Thread bumnping - Solidus - 12-24-2010

What you reported may not appear to be spam, but they actually were. It was a bot. They're everywhere and are able to pull info from a thread to make an intelligent reply. You can usually spot these by looking at the signature which is typically a link to a site selling something.

About bumping. For me, it's fine. At the stage SF is currently at, every post counts. Bumping a thread encourages more discussion and I even do it on purpose at my own site.
Report it if it's low quality though.

(12-24-2010, 02:06 PM)Solidus Wrote: What you reported may not appear to be spam, but they actually were. It was a bot. They're everywhere and are able to pull info from a thread to make an intelligent reply. You can usually spot these by looking at the signature which is typically a link to a site selling something.

About bumping. For me, it's fine. At the stage SF is currently at, every post counts. Bumping a thread encourages more discussion and I even do it on purpose at my own site.
Report it if it's low quality though.

I knew it haha. I was a little confused when someone asked about if they should eat more and it said some crap about a healthy lifestyle that made no sense.

RE: Thread bumnping - Inuyasha - 12-25-2010

In the early stages of a forum bumping isn't really cracked down on. That's mainly because we're focused on getting posts and content. But on a site as big as HF we don't need nor want LQP like that. I'd say bumping is fine on SF for the time being.

RE: Thread bumnping - Peter L - 12-25-2010

(12-25-2010, 05:05 AM)Inuyasha Wrote: In the early stages of a forum bumping isn't really cracked down on. That's mainly because we're focused on getting posts and content. But on a site as big as HF we don't need nor want LQP like that. I'd say bumping is fine on SF for the time being.

Yeah, I get that. But say for example someone says "do I look skinny" over 3 months ago. Then today, in December (when it was posted in September), someone comments saying "i think u look fine." That is pointless because the member no longer visits or got answers.

But if it's a discussion topic about your favorite soda it is fine. imo.

RE: Thread bumnping - Omniscient - 12-26-2010

If the reply is not substantial in content report it.