Poll: Which linux distro do you recommend me
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mint
9.09%
2 9.09%
Ubuntu
59.09%
13 59.09%
Other . Please tell which one
31.82%
7 31.82%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Linux Distro do you recomend me? [SPECS INSIDE]
(12-16-2009, 06:22 AM)Uhriventis Wrote: Doesn't Red Hat cost money to keep updated now? That was my first look at Linux. It was Red Hat 3.

That's the thing I don't get about RHEL, why pay for it when you can Fedora or something virtually the same for free? It's odd.
At the top will be the same place you hang from.
(12-16-2009, 06:23 AM)trilobyte- Wrote: That's the thing I don't get about RHEL, why pay for it when you can Fedora or something virtually the same for free? It's odd.

Red Hat is more stable. Fedora gets all their experimental updates and uses the users as feedback. What works is implemented into Red Hat. I used Fedora for awhile and loved it until I switched to openSuSE which hasn't ever done me wrong. Right away picked up all my hardware and had no problem getting HD resolution. It just works. Fedora didn't pick up my wireless card and refused to work my NVIDIA card, even after official updates; so HD resolution was out of the picture. Got good ol' 600x800 and I'm not about to mess around with xorg for hours just to fix the problem.
[Image: Uhriventis.gif]
(12-16-2009, 06:28 AM)Uhriventis Wrote: Red Hat is more stable. Fedora gets all their experimental updates and uses the users as feedback. What works is implemented into Red Hat. I used Fedora for awhile and loved it until I switched to openSuSE which hasn't ever done me wrong. Right away picked up all my hardware and had no problem getting HD resolution. It just works. Fedora didn't pick up my wireless card and refused to work my NVIDIA card, even after official updates; so HD resolution was out of the picture. Got good ol' 600x800 and I'm not about to mess around with xorg for hours just to fix the problem.
Ah I See.
For me it's the complete Opposite, Fedora picks up everything, and openSuse doesn't get anything. I first installed fedora and my wireless card just *Worked.* But with Suse, like your Fedora problem, it wouldn't even pick up my graphics card.
At the top will be the same place you hang from.
There is a topic in the openSuSE forums saying the same. Some people have Fedora working and not SuSE others the opposite. I guess it's hardware makeup along with other factors. Sometimes a distro will just give you crap while the other will give you roses.
[Image: Uhriventis.gif]
Click on "Take Test" and answer the questions and it will tell you which linux distro is best for you.
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
[Image: izsyo6.jpg]

There isn't any point in dual booting two Linux distros because they are all basically the same thing but packaged diffrently. It doesn't take much at all to run Linux. With 4gb of Ram id suggest that you just stick to windows because it's not needed on linux.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some body tell me what distro this is? RDCA 18 3,852 04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Quickest Linux Distro? Beano 13 7,833 01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Epicly
  Threat Kit: Lightweight Pen Testing Distro killerdoob420 0 2,575 01-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Last Post: killerdoob420
  Etymology of A Distro Eugene 6 1,618 07-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Last Post: Eugene
  Best distro for web developers and designers...? Dr.Viper 8 2,292 01-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Last Post: DAMINKā„¢