Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hotmail, Live, MSN
(10-12-2010, 09:43 AM)Omniscient Wrote: Am I the only person left using pop3?

I've never used pop3. What are the advantages of it in comparison to other services?
Gmail is great.

Pop3 is for non-webclients such as outlook, etc.

I only use it if I have a company email or a website email and need to have a notification on when I get an email. Other than that i leave my gmail for when I want to read internet stuff, and my ISP personal email for when I want to talk to family and real life friends.
I've let go of MSN/Hotmail/Live years ago. It always gave me problems. Gmail is where it's at IMO.
[Image: fixedt.png]
OMG!! Well I am a victim but i'm not too devastated, lol, Infinity joined my boat.

Infinity: Awww crap! Where are all my threads!!!???
Me: Who cares, I just post for the heck of it.
[Image: t5BWm.png]
(10-12-2010, 04:54 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: OMG!! Well I am a victim but i'm not too devastated, lol, Infinity joined my boat.

Infinity: Awww crap! Where are all my threads!!!???
Me: Who cares, I just post for the heck of it.

You were the worst for rejected emails so I think you've caused this problem for me.

You can do me a favor though and make sure that SF emails were not going to your spam filter. If they were mark them as not spam. This can help.

And pop3 has plenty of advantages. Your email is local so you don't need an internet connection to read them archived. Your local client can often be of better quality than an online service which might show you ads. Local client can also have tailored options like spam filters, thread reading, and of course address book.

Before the popularity of online providers (basically hotmail and then gmail) it was imap and pop3 that most used. I'm maybe old-school and that's why I still use it. I only login to my online client on special occasions.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(10-12-2010, 05:28 PM)Omniscient Wrote: You were the worst for rejected emails so I think you've caused this problem for me.

You can do me a favor though and make sure that SF emails were not going to your spam filter. If they were mark them as not spam. This can help.

And pop3 has plenty of advantages. Your email is local so you don't need an internet connection to read them archived. Your local client can often be of better quality than an online service which might show you ads. Local client can also have tailored options like spam filters, thread reading, and of course address book.

Before the popularity of online providers (basically hotmail and then gmail) it was imap and pop3 that most used. I'm maybe old-school and that's why I still use it. I only login to my online client on special occasions.

Ahhh! I see! Makes a lot of sense now.... I had unmarked it a while ago... Wow, such a little thing can cause a big problem?
Pretty sure pop3 protects you against brute force more as well, when there are exploits and stuff. Or maybe it makes it worse.
(10-12-2010, 06:59 PM)Reality Wrote: Pretty sure pop3 protects you against brute force more as well, when there are exploits and stuff. Or maybe it makes it worse.

Yeah, I believe its the other way around, but regardless, no such thing as full true protection.
Actually having pop3 can offer good protection for your email scheme combined with email forwarding services.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(10-12-2010, 05:28 PM)Omniscient Wrote: You were the worst for rejected emails so I think you've caused this problem for me.

I still use a local client myself. I never got into using web clients for checking my email. I use Google Apps for my mail exchange (it's a nice change of pace not having to setup and maintain sendmail and Dovecot) so I can use the GMail web client if I really wanted to. The only time I would though is if I was away from my own PC. But at that point I wouldn't be able to because my passwords are all double digit combinations of alphanumeric and random characters. Needless to say, I don't have them memorized, haha.
Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison!
How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't put my MSN on the list thing Reality 4 669 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Sam