Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tutorial] How to trace an email[Tutorial]
Hey guys,
I've written this tutorial to show you how to trace an email back to an IP address, and possibly even get a satellite image of the computer's location (you will probably get an ISP). Before I go any further, if you are trying to trace a Gmail this method won't work.

Step 1. - Getting the Email's Header Information
If you already know how to get an email header, just copy it and skip to step two, however if you do not I will cover how to get to the header for several big email providers. If I do not cover your provider reply to this thread who your provider is and I'll update the tutorial (This is for your email provider not the person whos email you are trying to trace).
Gmail
Yahoo
Hotmail/Windows Live/Whatever you call it

Step 2. - Tracing Email
Head over to
Then paste the email header into the Text Area (Large form of a text box) and hit the "Trace Email Sender". It should show you an IP Address and a nice little map of the computer's location. Then, if you wish for a satellite image click the Big Satellite Image link in the bubble.
----------

That was my simple two step way to trace an email, once it's traced you can store the sender's location for your various reasons or send an abuse report to the ISP if they have broken a law or been harassing you.
Locating the source does depend on whether the ISP correlates the actual location with the IP address. In the UK and the US, for example, some IP addresses indicate another part of the country, rather than the actual source location.

However, although you may not know the location for certain, you will know the ISP to contact for abuse.

Thanks for adding this to our collection of tutorials.
Very nice tutorial, thank you. Smile
(08-16-2010, 11:18 AM)flAmingw0rm Wrote: Very nice tutorial, thank you. Smile

Glad I could help!
Valid point from Eve, my IP address traces to the nearest main hub for my ISP.

Thanks for sharing Thomas.
Thanks for sharing!

I'll be sure to try it out soon.
This only find's the nearest server, Nothing that can trace anyone.
(10-02-2010, 01:41 AM)Review Wrote: This only find's the nearest server, Nothing that can trace anyone.

First of all it's finds not find's, and second of all it finds the server it was sent from, therefore the ISP.
(10-05-2010, 04:30 PM)Thomas® Wrote: First of all it's finds not find's, and second of all it finds the server it was sent from, therefore the ISP.

It traces the node, not where it was sent from.

My node is an entire state away so geographical IP traces are no where near accurate with me.
Stop trashing it, it does what he says and i use this all the time and almost all the time it is accurate.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tutorial] Defend against stealers! Elektrisk 28 7,468 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Last Post: iMoney
  [WhiteHat Tutorial] How to improve our PC system and make it cleaner? Nympho 24 5,399 11-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Last Post: New Jersey
  [Tutorial]Anti anti's! bling111 3 1,528 05-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Boing7898
  Tracing a hacker [TUTORIAL] XiX Eb0y XiX 17 3,206 01-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Last Post: Quintus
  [Tutorial]Removing Rogue anti viruses (With large list of)[Tutorial] Xypher 6 2,239 10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Apocalypse