Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For A Domain Name
Yes, MyBB is fantastic and is still developing well. I personally feel you should visit mybbcentral.com (Owned by Omni) and sign up there, pay the cheap VIP costs. I did and it makes your forum 1000% better.
I see, thanks for the tip.

Guess I should probably be changing my niche anyway, probably to something generic like gaming or something.

Still open to ideas.
Games is already a massive market and without sufficient administration experience you could find it hard to get your forum off the ground. Plus gaming is not a niche at all.
(07-29-2010, 08:57 AM)Sam Wrote: Games is already a massive market and without sufficient administration experience you could find it hard to get your forum off the ground. Plus gaming is not a niche at all.

Well, I meant just a general theme, not really anything particular or specific. Then what do you suggest? At this time, almost everything you could possibly think of is already taken. >_<
Okay, maybe pick a field that you have sufficient knowledge in. What sort of forums would you join?
Either a writing or gaming forum, lmao.

I have quite a bit of knowledge in the "competitive scene" of gaming, so that's what I was aiming for, but I don't know now.
Hey man it's up to you. You're the one that's going to be putting time and effort into it, so you might as well make sure you enjoy it you know? Smile

If you ever need help with MyBB... Like plugins, HTML, themes or developing them let me know.

~ Sam ~

Good Luck !
(07-29-2010, 06:08 AM)Eve Wrote: Writing forums don't develop very quickly. Will you be committing to it for a few years?

(07-29-2010, 08:28 AM)Clay Wrote: Well, I didn't really expect it to just, skyrocket with traffic and activity, however, do you really think it'll take years to get a decent amount? :/

It depends on the size of the community you wish to create, and how many active members you are hoping for.

Here are some threads which can help:
The Concept Behind Forums and How to Start One
Guide to Forum Construction

Omniscient uses MyBB for many of his forums, which is why there is a strong lean towards it on SF.
MyBB Resources
I would also suggest VB and IPB if you can afford the licenses.

If you were going to pay for a forum software then I personally would go for VB.
Thank you Eve for the links, it's appreciated.

@Sam - I'm going to do MyBB first, just so I can get a little experience with being an admin. I've been looking over all the plugins and themes, there's SO MUCH, it's ridiculous. Lol.