Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Religion Do i belong to if any?
(03-20-2011, 08:40 AM)wtftwice Wrote: Religion = Belief of some form of theism
Atheism = anti-theism

For a set of beliefs to actually be considered a "religion" there must be a belief of theism. Atheism does not have a belief of ANY form of theism.

Ask most atheists, ones that aren't dead set on spreading their belief, they don't consider themselves as a religious cult.

That's not consistent, at all.

Another definition is:
A collection of practices, based on beliefs and teachings that are highly valued or sacred; Any practice that someone or some group is seriously devoted to; Any ongoing practice one engages in, in order to shape their character or improve traits of their personality;

Atheism is a religion, semantics says so.

Also, Chrisitans/Catholics don't consider themselves cults either, what's your point?
With the moniker cult has been given, many now take it as a negative group. So no wonder why highly bestowed religions such as Christians won't use it to describe themselves. They still are cults though, there's no denying it.

And I think what we're trying to say is that in Atheism there's those deadset on proving somebody wrong and those who can give a crap less (such as myself Thumbsup).

I don't splel check.
(03-20-2011, 08:49 AM)Scalise Wrote: With the moniker cult has been given, many now take it as a negative group. So no wonder why highly bestowed religions such as Christians won't use it to describe themselves. They still are cults though, there's no denying it.

And I think what we're trying to say is that in Atheism there's those deadset on proving somebody wrong and those who can give a crap less (such as myself Thumbsup).

(03-20-2011, 08:25 AM)Mous Wrote:
(03-20-2011, 08:03 AM)Scalise Wrote: Religion is the root of all evil.

Atheism ftw. And if somebody does discover a god somewhere, I'll go Agnostic and still refuse to believe it. Thumbsup

:p

I don't know what to tell you, ugh. Pinch
[Image: 1249325580.jpg]
If the sky is the limit, then I'll build a bridge up to it. If I make it back, I'd still want more, more. - Craig Owens
(03-20-2011, 08:49 AM)Scalise Wrote: With the moniker cult has been given, many now take it as a negative group. So no wonder why highly bestowed religions such as Christians won't use it to describe themselves. They still are cults though, there's no denying it.

My point is, you may not give a crap, but you
still *did* just bash religion, when the thread wasn't even about
which religion is better or "what religion are you".

Which, I'm Agnostic, so don't take this as an attack,
I'm just saying that you probably shouldn't think
Atheism much different/better :p
I don't like religion but you don't see me standing outside of churches with signs saying "GOD IS FAKE", haha.
I don't splel check.
(03-20-2011, 08:53 AM)Scalise Wrote: I don't like religion but you don't see me standing outside of churches with signs saying "GOD IS FAKE", haha.

Well, of course not. I see you in front of a screen stating that god is fake.
Why would you do it in public where people could actually see your face?
If the sky is the limit, then I'll build a bridge up to it. If I make it back, I'd still want more, more. - Craig Owens
(03-20-2011, 08:57 AM)wtftwice Wrote: Well, of course not. I see you in front of a screen stating that god is fake.
Why would you do it in public where people could actually see your face?

I will personally never allude to saying "God" is fake.

I may question why someone has a belief,
but I won't tell them they're wrong/their "God" isn't real.
All I've said is that religion causes the world's problems. It's a FACT. Go read a history book.

Nowhere in that statement did I say that what those who still choose to be religious are wrong, nor did I say that God isn't real.

I have nothing more to say if the intent of this argument is to twist words around and manipulate opinions. Good day.
I don't splel check.
(03-20-2011, 08:58 AM)Mous Wrote: I will personally never allude to saying "God" is fake.

I may question why someone has a belief,
but I won't tell them they're wrong/their "God" isn't real.

Well of course not. We were debating over a definition, not the belief of god. Victoire
(03-20-2011, 09:05 AM)Scalise Wrote: All I've said is that religion causes the world's problems. It's a FACT. Go read a history book.

My history book never said that religion causes world's problems.
[Image: Nyan.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your religion and/or philosophy? (try to be respectful) JDBar 1 477 04-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Charles
  What category do *you* belong in? Mous 23 3,622 03-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Solidus
  Science and religion Petite chien 21 2,285 09-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Last Post: FirefoxWiz