• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Religion Do i belong to if any?
(03-20-2011, 08:05 AM)Scalise Wrote: "Which Religion do i belong to if any?"

;)

...What's your point? O.o

Atheism is a religion.
(03-20-2011, 08:07 AM)Mous Wrote: ...What's your point? O.o

Atheism is a religion.

I'd call it the refusal of religion. And to call it a religion you really play down what it's supposed to represent. So no, I don't believe it's a religion. Religions are all cults, and I refuse to be a part of any of them.

Just look how many problems they've caused, I don't want to be part of it.
I don't splel check.
(03-20-2011, 08:13 AM)Scalise Wrote: I'd call it the refusal of religion. And to call it a religion you really play down what it's supposed to represent. So no, I don't believe it's a religion. Religions are all cults, and I refuse to be a part of any of them.

Just look how many problems they've caused, I don't want to be part of it.

>A collective of people names their group
>Stands against/attempts to disprove "God"/Religion
>Tries to convince people that they're correct

Hmm. Sounds like a religion or "cult" to me.
(03-20-2011, 08:16 AM)Mous Wrote: >A collective of people names their group
>Stands against/attempts to disprove "God"/Religion
>Tries to convince people that they're correct

Hmm. Sounds like a religion or "cult" to me.

Lol I don't actively do any of that.

I don't go to church and I don't believe in god so I consider myself an athiest. I've never pushed my beliefs on anybody else nor have I tried to disprove. This is my personal opinion, I'm not one to tell anybody else how to live their lives.
I don't splel check.
(03-20-2011, 08:24 AM)Scalise Wrote: Lol I don't actively do any of that.

I don't go to church and I don't believe in god so I consider myself an athiest. I've never pushed my beliefs on anybody else nor have I tried to disprove. This is my personal opinion, I'm not one to tell anybody else how to live their lives.

(03-20-2011, 08:03 AM)Scalise Wrote: Religion is the root of all evil.

Atheism ftw. And if somebody does discover a god somewhere, I'll go Agnostic and still refuse to believe it. Thumbsup

:p
I always believed atheism was the absence of theism, which is the belief of a god.
Religion is a belief of some superhuman power or powers, atheism is the belief of no theism.
Atheism may be organized in some sense, but it isn't a "religion".
[Image: 1249325580.jpg]
If the sky is the limit, then I'll build a bridge up to it. If I make it back, I'd still want more, more. - Craig Owens
(03-20-2011, 08:28 AM)wtftwice Wrote: I always believed atheism was the absence of theism, which is the belief of a god.
Religion is a belief of some superhuman power or powers, atheism is the belief of no theism.
Atheism may be organized in some sense, but it isn't a "religion".

Definitions of religion on the Web:

a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"
an institution to express belief in a divine power;

A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
(03-20-2011, 08:25 AM)Mous Wrote: :p

Nowhere in there did I say anything about anybody else Tongue
I don't splel check.
(03-20-2011, 08:37 AM)Scalise Wrote: Nowhere in there did I say anything about anybody else Tongue

You were speaking about religion in a general term, *telling* someone
that their religion is evil. (You did, because you said all religions are)

That's like a Christian saying Atheism is evil, same difference.
(03-20-2011, 08:34 AM)Mous Wrote: Definitions of religion on the Web:

a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"
an institution to express belief in a divine power;

A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Religion = Belief of some form of theism
Atheism = anti-theism

For a set of beliefs to actually be considered a "religion" there must be a belief of theism. Atheism does not have a belief of ANY form of theism.

Ask most atheists, ones that aren't dead set on spreading their belief, they don't consider themselves as a religious cult.
[Image: 1249325580.jpg]
If the sky is the limit, then I'll build a bridge up to it. If I make it back, I'd still want more, more. - Craig Owens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your religion and/or philosophy? (try to be respectful) JDBar 1 477 04-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Charles
  What category do *you* belong in? Mous 23 3,622 03-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Solidus
  Science and religion Petite chien 21 2,285 09-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Last Post: FirefoxWiz