Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that are lacking in the English language.
(04-06-2010, 12:48 AM)S1cKL3R Wrote: I don't mean one language that we are all forced to speak. I just mean one that is universal. You can still speak all your other languages. It's just nice to not have to learn another language to get a job because a bunch of Mexicans decided that California was the place the outta be.

Yeah.

that's why if I get a job next week I'm going to make sure I don't work on the same shift as a bunch of non english speaking mexicans. GRR. I hate spanish. I also hate when they talk about you in spanish yet I know a little bit so I know if there talking about me.
[Image: HFTOTW2DR.png]

(04-06-2010, 12:55 AM)Detective RooTz Wrote: Yeah.

that's why if I get a job next week I'm going to make sure I don't work on the same shift as a bunch of non english speaking mexicans. GRR. I hate spanish. I also hate when they talk about you in spanish yet I know a little bit so I know if there talking about me.

I speak Spanish and am half Mexican. That was just an example lol
Site Owner: http://www.awesomelounge.com

Feel free to join. It's full of greatness.

[Image: s1ckl3r2.png]
Quote:so I know if there talking about me.

I know exactly what you mean. I remember in 7th grade, these Mexicans would be like "Oye! Maricón!" then laugh as if they were so clever. I'd say something like "Jódete" and they'd be like "DURRRRRR HOW DID HE KNOW THAT???". Idiots.
(10-17-2009, 10:49 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: I was referring to an author of a .pdf file whose name was of Indian origin the other day, and I didn't know whether his name was masculine or feminine. So, I went with feminine and said 'her', and apparently offended the author. Go figure.

Professionally you should cite people using their surname, this avoids gender confusion as you can then use "XYZ stated that ABC was true, they found that this caused...".
[Image: sig.php]
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.
(04-06-2010, 12:56 PM)MrD. Wrote: Professionally you should cite people using their surname, this avoids gender confusion as you can then use "XYZ stated that ABC was true, they found that this caused...".

Using 'they' to take the place of a singular proper noun isn't proper English, though.
True, but you can't really refer to people as it.

I'm writing my dissertation at the minute (literally, I just have my conclusion and future study sections left to write), and from my own writing, and the reading of many, many other dissertations for my literature review. Referring to a person who you do not know in a professional way is either done using they (once the subject has been established), or just by using their surname all the time (which is the method I use most; however it jars the sentence more when used in the above example and forces you to change the comma to a full stop since you have to pause half way while reading it).

"XYZ stated that ABC was true. XYZ found that this caused...".
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.
I have missed your topics, Elektrisk.

I love the English language, even of the 17th century. I don't speak any other language. However, there are many nuances which the English language doesn't capture, which are probably due to cultural inattention. French has more words for love than English does and Alaskan languages have more words for snow. English is very functional which is why even 17th century poetry lacks the emotional nuances of poetry in other languages. Contemporary English has inherited the lack of words for different types of sadness, delight, contentment and attachment.
I think it's great that romance languages have different words for love, such as familial love, platonic love, and romantic love. I talked with Notorious Mental, a Greek member, and he explained the four different words for "love" in Greek to me. It was very interesting

Concerning the different words for "snow", it's true that Eskimo languages might even have over 40 words for snow! I found that to be very surprising. In Swedish, there's about 5, but I only know two: "snö" (snow) and "kramsnö", which is snow that is compact enough to be used with snowballs, snowmen, and so on.

Concerning emotions, I think English does well enough. If I want to say that I am depressed, I can simply use an word like "crestfallen". If that isn't enough to express how depressed I am, I can also default to intensifiers like "very".
(04-06-2010, 01:50 PM)Eve Wrote: Contemporary English has inherited the lack of words for different types of sadness, delight, contentment and attachment.

A problem that colloquial English makes up for Smile

Truthfully, I can think of several ways to express in words each of the concepts you mentioned above, I fail to see why you would need more than that?
(04-06-2010, 02:04 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: Concerning emotions, I think English does well enough. If I want to say that I am depressed, I can simply use an word like "crestfallen". If that isn't enough to express how depressed I am, I can also default to intensifiers like "very".

I wish English had more words for romantic feelings or different intensities of feeling. I can use intensifiers but I do prefer a word which encapsulates the intensity itself.

(04-06-2010, 02:06 PM)MrD. Wrote: A problem that colloquial English makes up for Smile

Truthfully, I can think of several ways to express in words each of the concepts you mentioned above, I fail to see why you would need more than that?

I don't use colloquial English. And I am just particular when it comes to feelings and words to describe them. For example, what word would you use to describe the euphoria of new love? There is no word, only ways with already present words. And "butterflies" is not enough, lol.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm making my own language! King 26 3,473 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Last Post: KingQuarter
  Not Being Able To Click Things In My Container (HTML/CSS) BreShiE 0 535 02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Last Post: BreShiE
  Starting A New Language | LOLCODE BreShiE 2 864 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Last Post: BreShiE
  [English] Homework Help Pleassse [Finals] Buzz Lightyear 0 556 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Buzz Lightyear
  Things you do for fun? Psychosis 25 5,022 04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Last Post: spark™