Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that are lacking in the English language.
(10-17-2009, 09:52 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: I think English should have an official word for "you" (pl.). I personally say "y'all", but some grammar freaks would claim that this is "improper".

I also think English should have a word for "you" (personally), or that "one" should be more prominent. Compare:
'You are always doing that'. - personal
"You [One] cannot speak poorly of Kim Jong-il in North Korea." - general usage

Another thing, in Swedish, we have two words for his/her/its blahblah. Compare:

Hon sa att hennes son levde fortfarande. - She said that her son was still alive. (another woman's son)

Hon sa att sin son levde fortfarande. - She said that her son was still alive. (her own son; the mother of which we are speaking)

I think too much.
D'y'all have any more to contribute? Tongue

You're completely correct, and for those of us who choose to take the corrective ways when it comes to grammar and everyday language, this would probably help enhance the English language.
Believe it or not, it's said that the English language is one of the (if not the) hardest languages to learn (foreigner or not). I think that adding more words would complicate things for others trying to learn English.
I do like where you're coming from, though. I hope this thread stays alive - perhaps we can update it regularly.
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that are lacking in the English language. - by Harvey - 10-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm making my own language! King 26 3,473 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Last Post: KingQuarter
  Not Being Able To Click Things In My Container (HTML/CSS) BreShiE 0 535 02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Last Post: BreShiE
  Starting A New Language | LOLCODE BreShiE 2 864 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Last Post: BreShiE
  [English] Homework Help Pleassse [Finals] Buzz Lightyear 0 556 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Buzz Lightyear
  Things you do for fun? Psychosis 25 5,022 04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Last Post: sparkā„¢