Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSS Help
(01-15-2012, 04:35 PM)BreShiE Wrote: Actually, Gaijin, even Google has a lot of errors (36 Errors, 2 warning(s) ) and that's probably the most accessed site per day, so I doubt it effects the site even the slightest.

Ohh man, I just deleted my whole post, I just can't seem to find words to explain this crucial factor to you, and I decided to leave it up to you too fall on your nose, simple as that, I can try but you need to listen, and I don't get the feeling you do so... So go on fall...

Just keep in mind that Big Websites already have a customre base which is loyal to them because of the quality of their work and will hardly turn back to you...
Comparing your site to a site like Google is simply ignorant and will get you in trouble.. Yes Google has errors too, but this is so un-true...
Google Landing page does not have 36 erros at all, it has from what I was able to see with a quick look between 2 and 5 errors, their HTML structure is quite clean and correct, it is the fault of the validators way to check for errors which result in google having 36 of them...
So because I know what I talk about, I can tell you that Google has no errors, despite the fact validator showing other results...
When you have a dynamic page like google, with dynamic link, 5 errors, even 36 errors are no errors at all, the structure of the page is correct and according to standards, the most errors you get are URL depended errors, since "&" is a starting char for an HTML Entity, having a URL like "index.php?id=0&err=1337" will result in having an error;
Quote:& did not start a character reference. (& probably should have been escaped as &.)

And this is what you would call a false-positive...

SImple as that, my only adivce you should listen to is;
If you want to offer services as Web Development, Web Design, Web Promotion, SEO, Administration, website relevant etc...
Your site show what quality your work has....

(01-15-2012, 04:54 PM)Fragma Wrote: It's always best to validate your site.. http://validator.w3.org/docs/why.html

Thank you Fragma....
(01-15-2012, 04:19 PM)Gaijin Wrote: Ohhh that's sooo (un)true...
You see, search engines use HTML to find relevant things, bad html makes them in many cases oversee or misunderstand the contents of your page...

Quote:You can trust if you request one of the services above; you will get top quality work done.

Your whole coding speaks against the entire content of your page, again please consider this a constructive crticisim...

When you want to offer services as you do, a most important factor is that you make your site the very same quality that you offer to your customers...
Your page doesn't do that and if I were looking for services you offer, I wouldn't stay on your site more then a minute...

Let me explain you how I get contracts...
I visit pages of locals, take a look at their markup/css and other aspects of a website...
In most case what I find, are badly coded and structured pages which break on various browsers, I then contact the owners and point out to them what they have and what I can do for them...
In almost every case I get hired by them to repair the mess some incompeten dude have made..
This result in me having to Re-Design, Re-Structure, Re-Style and Re-Promote the site, but that isn't a worry for me, it's a problem for the one who made the previous version as he will first not get hired by them same people ever again, as they will return to me, and second, his reputation drops, thus making it hard for him to get jobs from other People who first google one before contacing him/her for the job.

So you see, with your Page, in no time I can get your customers away from you with the effect of slowely destroying your buisness...
If you improve the quality of your work, which comes with training, debugging and experience, you improve your chance of staying in the buisness...

Keep in mind, that SF uses a free software called MyBB as you know, this kind of software is unable to provide quality markup for their templates because of a simple fact, which is, dude who just code to get it done, not to improve the quality...

I don't use a single template for any software which I haven't done, simply because one that I do is ablt to keep markup and css valid for each browser, thus making it easier for search engines to crawl my site and find relevant information....

All the information on that website is just for placeholders. I have no real purpose for the website as of now, I'm too inexperienced to charge for web design currently (full web design, I currently do advertising).

Like you said, with time I'll become better but please know I am currently not charging for any services. I'm doing this to learn and improve by web design skills. This was my first full website, so errors are inevitable.

Thanks for replying, and hopefully you understand. I wouldn't use the domain LaughingInc for a professional business anyway.

edit: Out of curiosity I checked the other website I made today:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3...ator%2F1.2

Valid! That's a pretty comforting sign.
(01-15-2012, 05:07 PM)Laugh Wrote: All the information on that website is just for placeholders. I have no real purpose for the website as of now, I'm too inexperienced to charge for web design currently (full web design, I currently do advertising).

Like you said, with time I'll become better but please know I am currently not charging for any services. I'm doing this to learn and improve by web design skills. This was my first full website, so errors are inevitable.

Thanks for replying, and hopefully you understand. I wouldn't use the domain LaughingInc for a professional business anyway.

I know that you are just starting out, that's why I have this aggressive stand, it's the first thing your should learn, if you expect to make something out of your skills...

Most people in your position don't understand that this type of job requires one's full attention, as long as you are only one, you will need to spend a lot of time working, 24H a day is not uncommon, with more members in the team, you will find more "free-time", but this kind of job really requires your full attention, keep that in mind....

I just want you to understand that 70% if not more, of your visitors will hire or leave the site depending on your very own site, and all I'm saying is, a good site is easier to find and will most likely bring your customers...

I currently have a hard time of getting contracts, because I don't have an online portfolio and all my created sites are inaccessible to me due to some private situations.
I'm however lucky and have a partner who takes care of "sowing" and "proving" our skills...
But let me tell you this once, I got my data back and a new server, we will get even more contracts, resulting in even more money earned and even less free-time... ;)

Good luck, but keep in mind what I've told you...

EDIT: Laughing .Inc can actually be a pretty good name, it can be used to in the right context and tell users that your work for example, makes them laugh instead of having to worry ;)

EDIT:
Compared to the first site, you second site is not only valid but looks far more better and cleaner, so you see there is more to websites then just having this and that...
Thank for the insight Gaijin. I'm definitely going to make sure all of my websites are 100% validated from now on.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Worker HTML, CSS, Javascript ImFocuzz 2 1,132 04-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Last Post: VHPanda
  Forum CSS code problem. inferno.lion 0 701 06-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Last Post: inferno.lion
  MyBB CSS Postbit Buttons Peter L 1 1,329 07-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Last Post: 'Snorlax
  inline css question andrewjs18 1 904 03-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Haxalot
  Need a CSS Teacher! ImFocuzz 2 959 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Last Post: BreShiE