Support Forums

Full Version: WTF? Trademark Violations? What?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was in an IRC the other day and someone asked about my site, so I showed them. Then they posted this link and said that I'm violating trademark:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=d...su48sj.2.1

My site's name is Certifiedethicalhackers (or Certified Ethical Hackers) not Certifiedethicalhacker (or Certified Ethical Hacker). I don't use or claim the symbol "C|EH". I don't issue certifications, and I don't teach from copyrighted material. Heck I haven't even setup a training classroom yet.

The entire idea of the site is to teach people what hacking is all about and to teach them about certified ethical hacking. There's no copyright on talking about ethical hacking.

I don't see how anything I'm doing on my site is illegal in any way at all.

Can someone explain this to me? Or a way I can reword and rework what I'm doing so that it doesn't break the copyright? I haven't ever meddled in this stuff but I don't want any legal crap on my hands here.

-ZuFu
So long as you display a clear disclaimer about not being associated with the official CEH certification, its certification body the EC Council, and InfoSec Institute, you should be alright.
The person who told you that you were violating laws is not worth listening to. Unless they're a government representative, don't worry about it until you're formally contacted about the issue.
Just make a disclaimer like Eve said. I doubt you can get done for copyright as you are not offering degrees.

You may want to try and find the CED copyright information and have a thorough read.
Thanks very much everyone Smile I'll add the disclaimer now in the footer.
Ok, I've added the disclaimer at the footer. It looks a little messy though. Honestly I think I should probably just add a new page and call it "legal" or something like that and link that in my footer.

Someone told me I should contact my lawyer. I don't have a lot of money and I don't have a lawyer. Is there like some kind of internet based stuff or something? Like seriously how do you find someone who can/will fight your case without paying butt loads of cash?
Cripes, don't contact a lawyer just yet. EC Council or InfoSec Institute are the only entities in the picture. Like Malware Boss says, don't worry unless you are formally contacted.

I've given you the worst-case assumptions scenario, but there was/is nothing illegal in what you have done. There has been no trading or misrepresentation under a copyrighted name. Keep pressing on with the forum, you and MWB.
Thanks very much Smile
Don't get a lawyer involved until C|EH actually decide to pursue it.
(05-23-2010, 11:33 PM)Malware Boss Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get a lawyer involved until C|EH actually decide to pursue it.

I just want to cover my bases that's all. IF they try to pursue I want to be ready for it, not scrambling around at the last minute barely able to get my stuff together. But I'll take the advice, I won't talk to a lawyer quite yet.
(05-24-2010, 12:06 AM)MasterZuFu Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to cover my bases that's all. IF they try to pursue I want to be ready for it, not scrambling around at the last minute barely able to get my stuff together. But I'll take the advice, I won't talk to a lawyer quite yet.
Good choice man, just let them make their move before you go and spend any money on pointless crap.
Pages: 1 2 3