Support Forums

Full Version: ~ How to deal with conflict ~
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This thread is aimed at people who find it hard to approach situations or tasks that involve possibly arguing or upsetting someone else. Being able to handle conflict well can be key in a working environment and generally helps in various difficult situations you may encounter in life.

Introduction
First we need to realize that we all deal with conflict in different ways, some people can effectively deal with tough situations whilst other people find it hard to make themselves heard so they might get angry or aggressive towards the situation. It's important to understand how you deal with conflict, choose the category that most suits your method below.

Types of People
  • Duck & Hide
    Some people really struggle with conflict and just generally try and avoid it at all costs. However you should realize that avoiding conflict can sometimes make the situation much worse and ultimately increase the amount of conflict involved.

• Negotiate & Debate
    Some people see conflict and try to come up with a reasonable or logical solution or way to work around the conflict but doesn't take into account everyone's personal feelings and points of views. This usually produces the logical solution but perhaps not the one that best suits the situation when feelings and views are taken into consideration.

• Power Hungry
    This type of person wants to win the conflict, they want to assert their power and make themselves known and respected. They want everyone to agree with their point of view and the conflict to be resolved by their own ideas or it wont ever be resolved.

• Agree & Please
    This type of person wants conflict to stop asap and aims to please everyone so conflict ceases because they themselves are a bit scared of putting their own views and opinions across to other people. However the solution is usually short lasting and eventually the conflict will arise again.

The Solution
I would say the first task in resolving conflict is to listen to everyone's opinion and get a firm grasp of their views but most importantly the emotions of the group. It's most likely that the conflict has caused anger and distress so you need to try and avoid doing things that heighten negative emotions.

Make sure you keep your cool, when it comes for you to suggest solutions and disagree with views and opinions you need to do so calmly, if you shout or ague back with people then the conflict will escalate and you wont get anywhere. If you give the person you're talking to respect and attention by showing you take their views into consideration then conflict situations can calm quickly and a reasonable solution can be found.

Remember, acknowledged views, opinions and feelings are transient, this should hopefully stop repetition of the same point hence stopping arguments.

I hope this little guide has benefited you and that you can take some tips with you.

26 views and no feedback on this?
It really depends on the situation.
You can be every type of person you mentioned there. I know I have been. Tongue

I'm really experienced in dealing with conflicts as I'm an admin or moderator on many chat sites.
Normally I listen to each side of the story and try to figure it out from there.
Alot of the times it's a misunderstanding or both sides are partly right or at fault.
Exactly, sometimes the best way to solve the conflict is to analyse the route cause, however if all parties involved are at fault then it becomes harder. It's all about how you conduct yourself and if people are willing to listen to you otherwise you're not going to get anywhere.
I'd mention somewhere in there that anger is a secondary emotion, and recognizing what you initially felt is a good step to deal with conflict. Smile
the way to solve conflict might be to fight if somebody has punched you for no reason what happens then?
Its a nice guide, but I think this is common sense.
They teach us this in the 8th grade also ^^
god damn were are all your rewards, surley you deserve more XD
Are you talking to me?
yes. lol
Pages: 1 2