Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible for a DVD drive to halt system?
Every now and then, my computer freezes for 30 seconds, then 20 seconds after coming back, it freezes for 10 seconds, then about 20 seconds after that, it freezes for 2 seconds.

This forces me to reboot my computer, as when it starts freezing, it becomes more and more constant. To the point where I can't do anything.

It happened to me about 10 minutes ago, and usually i have to try to boot a few times before it will go. Today I noticed that it seemed to get caught when trying to detect the IDE drives, upon the pre boot test. In particular, i noticed it stops at my DVD RW drive.
After a few more gos, it managed to get to the "Boot from CD" stage, and paused there, with a DVD inside.

As soon as i unplugged it the machine booted straight away and has not frozen since!

Is it possible the DVD drive is what has been annoying me by halting the entire system over the past year?

Do you think there is a fix for this (e.g. drivers) or it would be a hardware problem?
Can't say now if it is a driver or hardware problem, but almost everything can halt your system when it's not working properly.
I had the same problem with the cd drive, the PCI cable was almost 100% damaged but I didn't notice that.
First you should check your cable if it isn't damaged some where, then install the newest driver you can find, and if the problem still remains you should get new drive.
If the new drive causes the same problems then just ask your local expert to help you out.
Hello Extasey,

It sounds like your DVD/CD Drive is causing the problem, especially since it stopped after you disabled it. A tell-tale sign that that was probably the problem.

If you believe it was the driver, I would attempt installing, and reinstalling it. And see if it makes a difference.

If you'd like, read this: http://ask-leo.com/when_i_insert_a_cd_or..._i_do.html

-LS
[Image: r7g7j89si72ysmkv4yzm.png]

"Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow."
What DVD Rom are you using? It isn't a superwrite master is it? I had the same problem you are with a superwrite master
I can't tell the brand from where I am looking, and i can't look it up in the device list as it is currently unplugged.

Oh well, it works when I need it, which isn't very often, and isn't the hardest thing to unplug and plug back in as it is on a SATA connection.

I will change the cable next time I open my case, and will probably try a different port, just in case.

I'm pretty sure it was a Toshiba, but I am sure it wasn't a "superwrite master" as i have never heard of that before. As soon as i find out what it is i'll post. But this will not be until I open my case up again.

Thanks for your help!
I have also experienced the PC freezing up sometimes, if there is something in the CD/DVD drive tray,
but as soon as I clear the tray, the system works fine as well, but I'm not sure why that is.
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello.

This Problem is caused by a software known as DEEP FREEZE.

This software is attached to downloadable .exe files.

For this go to add remove hardware and serch for it and remove it.
[Image: 2d75599e9a.png]:superman:
to troubleshoot:

remove dvd drive. Working?
not:
remove harddrives. Booting?
not:
you have a motherboard problem.
if this is it. try removing everything connected to motherboard.
put it in one by one and reboot. if it does not boot when you insert ram, video card. then it really is a motherboard problem.
(10-13-2009, 01:13 AM)Danger Wrote: Hello.

deep freeze is a software used in many computer shops so that when you boot the pc again, it restores the original settings and removes updated files.. it is not something that freezes the computer.. it just freezes the data to lessen damage caused by users.. Smile
(10-13-2009, 01:14 AM)dongblues Wrote: to troubleshoot:

remove dvd drive. Working?
not:
remove harddrives. Booting?
not:
you have a motherboard problem.
if this is it. try removing everything connected to motherboard.
put it in one by one and reboot. if it does not boot when you insert ram, video card. then it really is a motherboard problem.

deep freeze is a software used in many computer shops so that when you boot the pc again, it restores the original settings and removes updated files.. it is not something that freezes the computer.. it just freezes the data to lessen damage caused by users.. Smile

Thanks, but it was the DVD drive. Havn't experienced the problem since removing.

Still haven't had a chance to change the SATA port or cable. Don't need the drive at the moment, so I can't be bothered.
(10-13-2009, 01:13 AM)Danger Wrote: Hello.

Well, I don't have Deep Freeze, so am wondering what else it may be?
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------