Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does Windows take so long to install?
Lots of comments on how long it takes to install.
Big deal i say. Sure XP takes longer than 7 and longer than most every linux distro. No question there. Might be related to compression or something like that. Not really sure.
But what matters is how it runs. XP is far quicker than Vista or 7 in my testing. And i have done loads i tell ya.
Xp out of the box is a good os. Sure firewall etc is useless. But most of the programs work out of the box.
Vista well we all know how screwed that is or atleast was. 7 well same problem as Vista was. None or little support for 3rd party software.
What im trying to say is sure its a 1hr install for most everyone but its time well spent i feel.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

111gb, my laptops more than double that. Computers terrible. Mine starts up in 2 minutes. Maybe stop changing your OS so often.
[Image: wwsigcopy.jpg]
(10-09-2009, 03:12 PM)MreGSX Wrote: The deal is your computer sucks and you're running XP. By the way, not everyone reinstalls their OS every 3 days.

Windows 7 should take a max of 20 minutes. Use that.

I agree.
Or Stick with Ubuntu or Mint. MUCH better than Microshit.
Support the best of ideas ----->

- http://www.vinceking69.blogspot.com -
(10-13-2009, 01:33 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Lots of comments on how long it takes to install.
Big deal i say. Sure XP takes longer than 7 and longer than most every linux distro. No question there. Might be related to compression or something like that. Not really sure.
But what matters is how it runs. XP is far quicker than Vista or 7 in my testing. And i have done loads i tell ya.
Xp out of the box is a good os. Sure firewall etc is useless. But most of the programs work out of the box.
Vista well we all know how screwed that is or atleast was. 7 well same problem as Vista was. None or little support for 3rd party software.
What im trying to say is sure its a 1hr install for most everyone but its time well spent i feel.

I don't think that 15-18 minutes, from double clicking on 'Setup.exe', to get to the 'Windows Tour' screen, is very long at all imo.

With an additional 10 minutes or so, to get graphics and soundcard drivers etc installed, it comes to about 30 minutes, or less, onto a 20 GB partition, which I think is quite okay.

If I had a new PC, I can imagine that it would take even less time.
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
(10-16-2009, 11:56 PM)UID=0 Wrote: I don't think that 15-18 minutes, from double clicking on 'Setup.exe', to get to the 'Windows Tour' screen, is very long at all imo.

With an additional 10 minutes or so, to get graphics and soundcard drivers etc installed, it comes to about 30 minutes, or less, onto a 20 GB partition, which I think is quite okay.

If I had a new PC, I can imagine that it would take even less time.

I will quote myself again!

Quote:Lots of comments on how long it takes to install.
Big deal i say.

Oh wait its in your quote. See now im confused!
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(10-17-2009, 12:05 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: I will quote myself again!

Quote:Lots of comments on how long it takes to install.
Big deal i say.
Oh wait its in your quote. See now im confused!

Hehe NVM, it's not too long anyhow, but I think that some people are waiting for the day,
that you can install an OS in about 1 minute or something..Smile

Surely it's going to happen eventually, in the not too distant sci-fi future, when we will also have some kind of hardware,
implanted into our bodies, that will enable us to update our knowledge banks, while we are sleeping, among other things.

I can imagine that the viruses in those times, will possibly be able to trigger a physical or mental ailment or something like that.

Sorry, a bit off topic there.
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
It depends on your optical drive speed and your harddrive.

- Time to format drive (Bigger, takes longer)
- Setup flys through in about 20minutes
- Drivers, 10minutes.

All in all about 30 minutes.
I install windows XP within 10-15 minutes. Your disk is likely scratched and hard to read.