Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A list of great firewalls.
Simply put, "A firewall is a part of a computer system or network that is designed to block unauthorized access while permitting authorized communications."

So, regardless of whether or not you realise WHAT a firewall does, at least realise that it's VITAL for your system's security. I used to think, "Ugh! Firewalls are so annoying; screw them!" And while they can be annoying, if you use a friendly one such as Online Armor, then this problem can easily be avoided.

Online Armor
Outpost
ZoneAlarm
Comodo

I'd personally recommend Online Armor. If you like the free version, you should get the Professional edition. It's extremely good. However, I've heard good things about ZoneAlarm and Comodo as well. I've also heard that Sunbelt is a good alternative, but it appears there isn't a non-trial free edition. Be aware that Windows Firewall is NOT adequate to be secure if you are running XP or Vista! If you are running Windows 7, then it's fine, as it has been drastically improved. But, if you are running XP or Vista, do yourself a favor and download one of the aforementioned firewalls Smile

Enjoy!
Windows firewall is good enough for most people
(10-04-2009, 07:24 PM)n4q Wrote: Windows firewall is good enough for most people

Hello!
I don't want to sound hostile, but Windows Firewall is hardly good enough on XP and Vista. On Windows 7, its quality has excelled tremendously, though I'd still prefer a program over it. I'd actually consider Windows Firewall on XP/Vista a vaporwall.
Sorry I forgot to add Windows 7 firewall, yes I agree that windows xp and vista's firewalls are hardly useful except for a feeling of "safety"
(10-04-2009, 07:42 PM)n4q Wrote: Sorry I forgot to add Windows 7 firewall, yes I agree that windows xp and vista's firewalls are hardly useful except for a feeling of "safety"

Okay ^_^
I'll edit the bit about Windows 7's in the first post.
Not to be rude or anything. But this might be only me. I installed online armor about, 2days ago and my laptop kept freezing. Every time i turned it on. I got lucky i got a system restore though.
(10-05-2009, 06:43 AM)Sp4wn Wrote: Not to be rude or anything. But this might be only me. I installed online armor about, 2days ago and my laptop kept freezing. Every time i turned it on. I got lucky i got a system restore though.

For some odd reason, I had that too, a little while ago. I had set it to block a few programs that start up with the system, so I just removed the block from those, removed them from start-up and the problem perished.
I have windows xp did i need some more Firewall? I have windows firewall only.
Outpost firewall is the best you can get.
Quote:For some odd reason, I had that too, a little while ago. I had set it to block a few programs that start up with the system, so I just removed the block from those, removed them from start-up and the problem perished.

Really? I've used it on Windows XP for months and have never had problems. A random, somewhat related problem I used to have with BlackIce is I'd always get the BSoD when trying to run it. Perhaps try another firewall.

Quote: I have windows xp did i need some more Firewall? I have windows firewall only.

Well, you won't die without one, but it'd make you a lot more secure. Just disable the Windows Firewall regardless; it's more annoying than useful.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mega Thread: Firewalls, Antivirus and Other security tools Linxy 3 1,811 06-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Last Post: LiamLC
  ★ Mega Thread: Firewalls, Antivirus and Other security tools ★ BlackSpider 29 7,313 12-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Bursihido
  [Seeking Advice] firewalls? Irelandrulz 8 1,039 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Irelandrulz
  Navigation :: Computer Security, Firewalls, and Antivirus Eve 9 2,593 05-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Last Post: //Pretext™
  Mega Thread :Anitviruses,Firewalls,and other security programs Eagle 5 1,263 05-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Last Post: Eagle