Poll: What colored hat are you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
White Hat
45.00%
18 45.00%
Black Hat
15.00%
6 15.00%
Grey Hat
40.00%
16 40.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Differences: White Hats, Black Hats, and Grey Hats
The Differences Between White Hats, Black Hats, and Grey Hats

What Do The Different Colored Hats Mean?

[Image: hat_white.png]
White Hat

A white hat hacker or an "ethical hacker" is a person who is against black hatting techniques. White hat hackers have a great expertise of skill in computer security. White hats use a variety of skills, techniques, and programs to ensure safety of a computer. Not only do white hats deal with malware removal and analysis, they also deal with Penetration Testing, Security Programming, Network Security etc. We have an outstanding group of white hatters here at Support Forums. They are called the "Hijack This Team." The HJT Team is a group of phenomenal white hat members who specialize in malware removal. The HJT Team helps members, and others with their malware related problems, by locating and removing the malware with a program called "Hijack This." Originally created and developed by Merijin, then later bought by Trend Micro. Hijack This is a program that generates a log that shows the running processes and a vast amount of important information used to help the members solve your problem. If you are interested in joining Support Forums' Hijack This Team, go the HJT Squad - Application/Sign-up Thread, located here, and submit an application. Some other examples of tools/programs are;
  • Antivirus - An antivirus or also known as an "AV" is a program that runs on a computer that protects a user from the newest virus threats, by scanning, detecting, and removing malware on a computer. Just because you have an AV, doesn't mean you will always be protected! It is RECOMMENDED that you have an antivirus. Some great AV's that help what hats to keep you protected from the latests threats are;
  • Firewall - A firewall is a program that runs on a computer that protects the users from network attacks. It is also RECOMMENDED you have a firewall installed on your computer to keep yourself safe from any threats.

• Scanners - Scanners are an essential tool in white hatting. They scan a computer, detect, and remove malware. A few notable scanners that malware experts use are; MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and ESET Online Scanner. Both are excellent scanners that are very good with removing malware.

• Virtual Machines - A virtual machine or "VM" is a like an operating system in a program. You can install an OS in the VM. Why would this be helpful to white hats, you ask? If a program seems suspicious, you can run it in the VM's OS instead of your main OS, to see if it has any malicious effects.

[Image: hat_black.png]
Black Hat
A black hat or more commonly known as a "hacker," is a person who breaks into a computer or network without one's consent and causes harm, such as; identity theft, fraud, and other illegal activities. Some examples of tools used by black hatters are;
  • Remote Administration Tools - Or more known as a "RAT." A RAT is a program that creates a "server" and when this "server" is run on a PC, it gives the hacker a numerous amount of options to do, such as; run executables on the infected PC, control the mouse, freeze the keyboard, delete files, etc. The options are infinite. .
  • Keyloggers - Or "keystroke logging" records the keystrokes typed on a computer.
  • Rogue AV's - Are basically a fake antivirus. When you're infected by a rouge AV, you my get prompted by a pop-up saying you're infected with an X-number amount of viruses, when in actuality, you're only infected with the fake antivirus. The point of a fake antivirus to trick you into buying the product, thus them receiving money. The rogue antivirus will generall uninstall itself after you've "bought" the program.

[Image: hat_gray.png]
Grey Hat
A grey hat is a combination of a white hat and a black hat. A grey hat may break into a computer (without authorization) and fix an exploit or a flaw in a computer's security. This is not necessarily malicious, nor is it completely white hat. A grey hat tends to be very skilled in both areas of black hatting, and white hatting. A grey hat might be both black and white hat, to maybe accomplish a specific feat, without making a profit. After the grey hat crosses this line, they are considered a black hat.

So, what colored hat are you?

Please move this if this is in the incorrect forum! I couldn't find the best place to post this, but this board seemed suitable! Also, yes I know the backround of the different colored hats aren't blending in with the Support Forums colors. This was originally posted on Hack Forums by me and the colors of HF and SF are different. Thank you Notorious Mental, for giving me a few notes to add to the White Hat section!
I'm a grey hat. I use alot of the black hat tool but I help a lot of people remove viruses from there pc.
[Image: fade-Signature.gif]
-Thanks Extasey Thumbsup
I am sort of more into White Hat because I have helped a lot of people from HF/SF and other forums remove viruses from their computer.
Happy to hear all of the positive comments! Thank you!

I am a white hat myself.
It's good to see no one's posted black hat yet. I'd consider myself a white hat as i help a lot of people and run a PC company as well as a forum.
I'm pure white hat. Nice explanation for each type. Just one thing, White Hat is not only based on Malware Removal and Analysis. It also includes Penetration Testing, Security Programming, Network Security etc.
Im a grey hat, I do..stuff.
(06-15-2010, 07:44 AM)--([-S7N-])-- Wrote: I'm pure white hat. Nice explanation for each type. Just one thing, White Hat is not only based on Malware Removal and Analysis. It also includes Penetration Testing, Security Programming, Network Security etc.

Thank you for your input! I'll be sure to update the OP with the information you just gave me.
I'm a Grey Hat, I do some Black Hat things but I will help people out with Viruses etc.
I am on the border of grey/black hat. I do mostly greyhat though.
(05-24-2010, 06:15 PM)Omniscient Wrote: We take HF refugees in bulk.
Lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Guide] - White Hat Helping Basic Overview --([-S7N-])-- 6 2,117 06-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Last Post: Eraj