Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
LED Or Plasma?
Whats the difference between and LED and Plasma?
And what one is the best for HD Gaming/Movies?

Mudkipz.
First of all, you are partially right to be so clear that it's LED. However, the new LED tv's Samsung is making are LED LCD tv's. That's right. conventional LCD tv's are backlit with a CCFL (basically fluorescent lighting). The LED ones use LED's for the light source. Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD's) do not create light, they adjust it (as in color or blocking it altogether). Now, samsung has two kinds of LED-lit tv's. There are backlit and edgelit versions. The edgelit seem to be a little less expensive and much thinner (1.2 inches!) but don't get as black. One of the big keys that plasma has always had over LCD is the deep, inky blacks. This is because in a plasma, the gases are excited to cause the color and the light, or not, causing an actual absence of light. in conventional LCD displays, the light is always on and the liquid crystals are adjusted to block it in dark spots of the screen. with LED BACK-LIT (not edge-lit) displays, the led's can be locally dimmed to help achieve those deep blacks, much like plasma displays are so famous for. So far as I can tell, either type of LED-lit tv should perform at least as well as plasma in any topic with the exception of black levels. Many might say that edge-lit displays don't have as deep of blacks as led-back-lit or plasma displays.

I wouldn't be surprised if over time, most every LCD display drops the fluorescent lamps and goes the way of LED-lighting (some back, some edge).
(05-26-2010, 09:49 AM)Matt™ Wrote: First of all, you are partially right to be so clear that it's LED. However, the new LED tv's Samsung is making are LED LCD tv's. That's right. conventional LCD tv's are backlit with a CCFL (basically fluorescent lighting). The LED ones use LED's for the light source. Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD's) do not create light, they adjust it (as in color or blocking it altogether). Now, samsung has two kinds of LED-lit tv's. There are backlit and edgelit versions. The edgelit seem to be a little less expensive and much thinner (1.2 inches!) but don't get as black. One of the big keys that plasma has always had over LCD is the deep, inky blacks. This is because in a plasma, the gases are excited to cause the color and the light, or not, causing an actual absence of light. in conventional LCD displays, the light is always on and the liquid crystals are adjusted to block it in dark spots of the screen. with LED BACK-LIT (not edge-lit) displays, the led's can be locally dimmed to help achieve those deep blacks, much like plasma displays are so famous for. So far as I can tell, either type of LED-lit tv should perform at least as well as plasma in any topic with the exception of black levels. Many might say that edge-lit displays don't have as deep of blacks as led-back-lit or plasma displays.

I wouldn't be surprised if over time, most every LCD display drops the fluorescent lamps and goes the way of LED-lighting (some back, some edge).

Uhh thanks.
(05-26-2010, 09:51 AM)Mudkipzz Wrote: Uhh thanks.
Your welcome.
I'd actually go with a LED. My brother has a Plasma and I really don't like it as much as my LED.
[Image: vwx1mh.png]
LED = Next generation of LCD, which is better than Plasma because Plasma for a good reason, burns the bulb out faster. (Fast life) Go with LED
[Image: ojntld.png]
  • MSN: xAnonymous420@Hotmail.com
I would go for LED, i have LCD & Plasma i get better quality from LCD plus my plasma i got thru 2 because first Pixels die (gas or w.e) plus if you leave it on a channel for like 1 night (like i did) it prints the picture on the screen so it wont go :/ so if you watch tv when you sleep i dont reccomend plasma :/
LED for sure, I have a LCD at the moment.
Intel Core i7 920 2.67Ghz | GIGABYTE X58-UD3R | 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ | 1.5TB SEAGATE | ATI 4890x2 | Coolmaster v8 | Corsair 850W | Antec Twelve Hundred
LED that seems to be the way were things are going.
LED for sure. Plasma is way to expensive and not worth the money.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Samsung 46″ LED Flat Panel LCD HDTV zinomori 4 1,917 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Hidden™
  Need a new plasma. Tryhard. 27 5,905 05-23-2011, 04:47 AM
Last Post: Anthony00814